Reds Meadow Road

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Reds Meadow Road

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I talked to someone at Mammoth Ranger Station and they said (unofficially) that the Reds Meadow Road is opening the 18th or 19th of June. My trip is from 6/9-14 so I will have to walk 3 miles down the road to Agnew Meadow.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Reds Meadow Road

Post by Gazelle »

I hope!my trip is june 22. Thanks that was my predicted date also
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

We are walking *down* the road on the 14th so I will look for you. Carry a copy of Secor in your right hand and wear a red carnation-
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I will be wearing knee high gaiters and wearing a pink baseball cap. I will keep an eye out for you. I will not get to the road until noon the earliest- am coming back via Shadow Lake and River Trail.

Tomorrow to Thursday forecast to be cold- all nights freezing at 10,000 feet, 23 degrees Wed. night. You should get warmer weather. I am hoping that the few nights of sub-freezing will kill of or delay any mosquitoes. Also nice little breeze.

Person I talked to also said there is overnight parking at Minaret Vista, as long as one can get a parking spot. When I got my permit, the ranger in Bishop also said not to worry about where the permit says is my first night, since I likely will not reach Thousand Island Lake with the added mileage of road walking. Going in the High Trail.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

We will be on the River/Shadow trail. There will be tons of people wearing high gaiters and pink caps, but I try to sort through everyone to recognize you. I am certain that the PCT herd will be intense.
gvv
Topix Newbie

Post by gvv »

Called the Mammoth Welcome Center today and the person at the other end said she's 'pretty sure' the road will open on June 18. No shuttle will operate until July 2, so you can drive in so long as there's parking.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Road Opens 6/17

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
The Reds Meadow Road will be opening June 17.
The Reds Meadow Shuttle Service begins July 2.
Until June 17, the Reds Meadow Road is only open to Minaret Vista. On June 17 it will be fully open. After the road opens, but before the shuttle starts running, expect parking to be very limited in the area. Carpool and arrive early!
Click below for details on the schedule, fares, etc. for the Reds Meadow Shuttle from Eastern Sierra Transit
https://www.estransit.com/.../seasonal/ ... w-shuttle/
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org