Is 168 - South Lake road open?

All discussion related to transportation to, from and within the Sierra Nevada. Need directions or flight information? Info on road conditions? A ride to the trail head? Can you offer a ride, or do you run a transportation business or shuttle service for the Sierra Nevada? Come on in and post the details!
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Is 168 - South Lake road open?

Post by mort »

I noted that the Sabrina gate is open (as of today), but the lake is still snowed over. How do I find out when South Lake road opens?
If anybody has a good way to find out which roads are open or when they will open, I'd like to know.
Horseshoe Meadow, Whitney Portal, Onion Valley, North Lake, South Lake, Convict Lake etc...
That's all east side.
But west side info is also wanted.
-mort
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Is 168 - South Lake road open?

Post by paul »

For south lake road, try calling Parchers Resort
https://www.parchersresort.net/

The county road departments - Inyo & Mono - may have info on the other roads, as they are largely county roads. Most, other than Horsehoe Meadows, will usually open for the trout season opener on the last Saturday in April. Horseshoe is more dependent on snowpack and also if they have to do repairs to get it open, so it mostly opens later.
On the west, if it's not a numbered highway that you can look up on the Caltrans site, then the appropriate National Forest is mostly a good bet to tell you if they are open - but not much help in telling you when they will open if they are not yet.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

EDIT: Only thing I've seen is that "168 is open". Generally they try to get the road open to SL for fishing season... Lemme poke around a bit more. Caltrans manages 168, but the roads splitting off it might be county.

Caltrans Districts 9 & 10 are a good follow on Facebook this time of year.

https://www.facebook.com/Caltrans9/post ... 4369526976
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

According to a buddy in Bishop, road is open to Sabrina and up to North Lake. There is some damage on the road to South Lake that they need to repair so you cannot drive all the way to South Lake currently. It sounds like you could use the Tyee Lakes trailhead parking and hoof it the rest of the way. Also, Horseshoe Meadows road is open as well. Hope this helps... :drinkers:
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

Thanks! I don't need to get to South Lake until mid May. I hope they get the road fixed up. That's great that the Horseshoe Meadow road is open.
-mort
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Can anyone confirm if I can drive up to the bishop pass trailhead and park for 4 days on June 3rd????
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

sparky wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:51 am Can anyone confirm if I can drive up to the bishop pass trailhead and park for 4 days on June 3rd????
If you cannot drive to the trailhead by that day you can definitely get pretty close, close enough that you can hoof it up the road.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

SNOOOOW wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:02 am
sparky wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:51 am Can anyone confirm if I can drive up to the bishop pass trailhead and park for 4 days on June 3rd????
If you cannot drive to the trailhead by that day you can definitely get pretty close, close enough that you can hoof it up the road.
I was told trailhead parking was closed to overnight parking due to repaveing
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

sparky wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:14 am I was told trailhead parking was closed to overnight parking due to repaveing
Back from a week (May 24-31) over Bishop Pass. The repaving was completed about a month ago. The road and parking lot are open. I think there are more or longer low speed zones thru Aspendell and near Parchers.
-mort
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

mort wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:16 am
sparky wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:14 am I was told trailhead parking was closed to overnight parking due to repaveing
Back from a week (May 24-31) over Bishop Pass. The repaving was completed about a month ago. The road and parking lot are open. I think there are more or longer low speed zones thru Aspendell and near Parchers.
-mort
good news. thanks!