tim wrote:What I would do is as follows (note that you need a Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday permit start date for the HST to make this work):
1. Drive to Lone Pine 2 days before permit start date
2. Stay at Whitney Portal Hostel in Lone Pine (http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) on Sun/Tues/Thu night. Book in advance in mid summer
3. That afternoon leave your hiking gear at the hostel, drive up to the portal, leave your car in the parking lot and hitch back down. You will be clean and unencumbered, both big advantages (also only one person in your group needs to go).
4. The following morning catch the CREST and Greyhound buses (as noted previously) via Mojave to Visalia
5. Stay the night in Visalia.
6. Next morning get the 6am Sequoia shuttle to Giant Forest (pre book this!) (http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/p ... tation.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
7. Use the free in park shuttle to get your permit from Lodgepole (make sure it's held for late collection though you should just about be there in time), then take the shuttle back to Crescent Meadow to start your hike. You should be on the trail by late morning (11 or 12).
It's a little time consuming, but the cheapest option if you want a car available when you finish.
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have a question about parking.
I'm hiking eastward and have a Sunday permit. Work makes it difficult to park at Whitney Portal and catch the the Friday bus from Lone Pine. Is it possible to leave a vehicle at Wolverton or Lodgepole for a week or is Whitney Portal the only option for long-term parking? What about street parking in Visalia?
Thanks for any input.