Sock Recommendations?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Nozmo King
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Sock Recommendations?

Post by Nozmo King »

How important are socks for keeping your feet comfortable? In other words, is it worth the money to buy more expensive backpacking socks? Any recommendations on brands & designs you really like?
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sock Recommendations?

Post by fishmonger »

Darn Tough - best sock I ever used. I ride my bike in them year round, I ski in them, I hike in them. First pair 2 years+ and still no need to get another. No stink merino, and, well, darn tough!

Not cheap, but well worth it. Actually, looks like they are on sale at Campmor right now (usually $25 or more)

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___01466" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... ock#p41051" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

To paraphrase an old saying, if your feet ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. Think about it. You travel on your feet. If they get hot and sweaty, or worse, blisters, you won't hike very far. Take care of your feet.
To echo fishmonger, I use darn tough socks. So much so that I wear them even when not hiking. They fit well and don't chafe which can cause blisters.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Tilley's (hats) travel sock. For me, the perfect thinness, moisture control, and elasticity.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

I have found donning them correctly (rolling them on instead of pulling) and changing frequently was more important than the brand name or material.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
bluefish
Topix Acquainted

Post by bluefish »

On multi-day trips I carry a pair of Darn Toughs and a pair of SmartWool. The Smartwool have more cushioning and are a little warmer. I use them for sleep socks or when the terrain is nasty downhills.
Good socks are a must for me hiking. I have some pairs set aside for just that- I use everyday crew socks under my boots for my carpentry business.
GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

I used Thorlo running socks with my trail runners. Extra thick cushioning on the heel and toe.
Iriscaddis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Iriscaddis »

Good topic. But what about sock liners? A marketing pitch or a real ‘thing’?

And agree on all the brands noted above. All good quality.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I think the theory on two pair of socks, be it two medium weight or heavier and one liner, is that the friction of rubbing happens mostly between the socks and not on your feet. Two pair of socks were standard in the old days with heavy leather boots. I now wear one pair only, smartwool medium weight, with "low cut hikers" and rarely get blisters. I do not get blisters if I hike in wet wool socks that are regularly wrung out. I suspect that wet cotton or synthetic socks might cause blisters. Proper fitting shoes are way more important than the particular socks. A liner sock is really light weight and if you want to try them out you can test their worth for yourself. Everyone's feet are different.

Because socks are so light weight, I always take 3 pair, wear one, pack two. Wash each night and rotate. Strap socks to my pack to dry. Sometimes I even take a thin 4th pair dedicated for sleeping bag only. I do not like to put stinky socks on my feet inside my bag. Often I will take a second pair of light weight insoles, particularly if I plan on having wet feet. Keep dry insole to wear in camp. Camp insoles just keep your feet dry- no need to be designed for walking. The cheap drugstore kind work fine. Dry feet = warm feet.

I like the medium (about 2 inches above ankle) height. I always wear gaiters which really keeps dirt and sand out of my shoes. This is a BIG help in reducing blisters. I believe the PCT hikers swear by "dirty girl" gaiters.