SPOT Satellite Messenger Problems

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SPOT Satellite Messenger Problems

Post by tomba »

My SPOT Gen3 successfully sent last message Friday 8/23 around 10:20am, then no messages until Sunday 8/25 around 4:10pm. I kept trying to send OK messages and some tracking (when crossing harder terrain) every few hours. I set expectations that it may not work, so it didn't cause anxiety.

I am glad that the failure of sending messages was due to an exceptional event and not an indication that it is likely to keep failing in future. Although, of course, the server outage reflects poorly on the company, which is consistent with some poor reviews.

I got SPOT instead of DeLorme InReach because it weighs about half as much.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

tim wrote:
fishmonger wrote: this is exactly why I will never use any such device again - it doesn't do any good when things are working, it's like "d'uh, he's on the trail," but it creates uncertainty and worries when not. The benefits are marginal at best, while the potential fear it creates is something best avoided.
Didn't your satellite phone stop working for a day due to a similar server crash?

yes, but my satellite phone doesn't draw a map on a web page that is being presented to folks at home as a record of my status, so if I don't call, they aren't alarmed. Isn't that quite an obvious difference? If you promise tracking, then the tracking should at least tell users that the system is flawed or has gone belly up so they don't spend the next day on the phone with rangers and worry.
Steve_C
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Steve_C »

Fishmonger, I am sorry you've had such a bad experience with the Spot. Based on my experiences with my units, I just don't understand why yours didn't send out very many signals.

I wear mine on the top of my shoulder strap, so it is always facing the sky, and if I set my pack down but want a signal to get out, I again make sure the strap is set so the unit faces up. I know from experience, that it does NOT send signals when clipped to a waist belt. I also know that with trees or high canyon walls, the unit works only sporadically. But beyond that, it really works well for me.

You may have family with stronger nerves than mine, but my family members and friends like to see the points moving, which indicates I am cruising along on my way. So I know, when I am out alone, that I am sending them reassurance. Based on this recent episode, I certainly plan on future hikes to prepare them to be calm in the absence of regular signals.

The especially good point about a Spot is that, unlike a PLB that must be activated only AFTER an emergency has arisen, Spot gives last known location, and if the hiker is using the tracking feature, gives an indication of the direction of travel. That information is invaluable in those rare situations like last winter where the hiker may not have realized he was in danger. Think about the difference in efforts and costs (and relief to family!), if a Spot had been in use.

It is my personal opinion that every hiker out alone should use a Spot.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

rlown wrote:Like my friends need another reason to stare at a website.
My recreation, presently, is limited to the corralling of and catering to a 2 year-old and a 2 month-old. How dare you; lessening my pleasure of living vicariously through the adventures of others is unacceptable. Old farts included. ;)
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

but i'm not on their lists. :(

And I agree for the most part with fishmonger. should be a call out only. Heck, OR cant even remember if his spot is on or off. or where it is.. :p

Back to reality. Friends at home shouldn't watch too closely. Things happen, things change, satellites go down for a bit. relax, everyone. Simple. We're dead or just out of comms for a bit.