New backcountry fishing boat | High Sierra Topix  

New backcountry fishing boat

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

New backcountry fishing boat

Postby oldranger » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Just received my new Klymit Light Water Dingy and just had to try it out this afternoon. Fishing sucked but beer was great.
LWG.jpg
Life in the Slow Lane

Mike :drinkers:
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!

oldranger
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Re: New backcountry fishing boat

Postby scrinch » Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:03 pm

Probably just fishing wrong time of day.
scrinch
Topix Novice

Postby oldranger » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Scrinch,

After looking at the pic carefully I thought lack of rod had something to do with it but you could be right! :o

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby rlown » Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:52 am

what does it weigh, and more importantly, what is your paddle system going to be?

Surprised you weren't sucked under via a Jacuzzi whirlpool and drowned. :\

And please put a shirt on.. :)
rlown
Topix Junkie

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Shawn » Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:58 pm

Classic ! :D
Shawn
Topix Expert

Postby oldranger » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Russ,

A Little over 2 lbs with inflator. 2 carbon fiber paddle blades that screw on to the tips of my strapped together trekking poles as a kayak paddle. PFD will be inflatable cushion attached to me. Got to figure out how to avoid accident puncturing with errant fishhook. My sense is that there is not enought flotation in the rear for a large person to sit vertically with butt all the way back. Probably ok for me though most comfortable positions is semi reclining. Will try to rig up a sea anchor to slow down drift.

Mike
Mike

oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby rlown » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:19 am

Sounds nice. Do your trekking poles float or are you putting a lanyard on them?
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby BrianF » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:33 am

I am surprised you didn't catch any with that bait in your hand. Most natives to a hot tub would climb right into your boat to get at that!
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Postby oldranger » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:58 pm

Russ,

Lanyard!

Brian,

Maybe that is why my wife tipped me over after taking the pic?

Mike
Mike

oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby oldranger » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 am

Boat.jpg
Long Lake, Eaglecap Wilderness

Used the LWD on 3 different lakes. Can't say the fishing was any better from the LWD than from shore but it was easier to access all of the lake (two of the lakes had significant cliffs, making shore access difficult. The LWD would be really nice at lakes like Edna and Benson.

Hiking poles strapped together with paddle blades worked fine. Caught largest fish of the trip 15 minutes into first trip on a lake trolling 1/8 oz rubber curly tailed jig behind the raft. 14" RB.

Mike
Mike

oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby giantbrookie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:04 pm

oldranger wrote:
Boat.jpg

Used the LWD on 3 different lakes. Can't say the fishing was any better from the LWD than from shore but it was easier to access all of the lake (two of the lakes had significant cliffs, making shore access difficult. The LWD would be really nice at lakes like Edna and Benson.

Hiking poles strapped together with paddle blades worked fine. Caught largest fish of the trip 15 minutes into first trip on a lake trolling 1/8 oz rubber curly tailed jig behind the raft. 14" RB.

Mike

Nice test of concept. I think that in addition to lakes with precipitous sides, there are a number of lunker lakes that are very difficult to fish from shore because they are very shallow along their shores but have deep holes way out there. The shallow fringes of some such lakes can also be infested with lily pads and other aquatic vegetation. Accordingly, it is both the shallows-fringed and the cliff-bordered lakes for which such a lightweight boat would offer a significant advantage over shore fishing. I need to seriously consider such a craft.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix