Packing a BV 500 into a ULA Circuit

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ross939 »

For all of you who own the ULA Circuit, I'm curious how you pack a bearvault 500, or a similarly sized bear canister. I have tried a number of configurations. One that I keep going back to is placing my sleeping bag and tent (horizontally) into the main bag, along with my clothing and sundries sacks, then place the BV500 into the large outside mesh pocket on the back. I put my kitchen set on one of the large side pockets. My concern would be having the weight of the BV500 being that far out. It packs well with the BV empty, haven't tried it full yet.

If anyone has any experiences pack a large Vault in the Circuit, I'd like to here from you.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Packing a BV 500 into a ULA Circuit

Post by AlmostThere »

I've been putting a Bearikade Weekender in mine. I pack all the soft stuff - quilt, clothing, pad, jacket - into the bottom, put in the can vertically, then stuff sundries like the first aid kit and rain gear around it plus my lunch sack. The stove/pot I use fits inside if I take out the lunches and carry them in a bag. Tarp or tent goes in the mesh front pocket. I can fit it horizontally but like how the pack rides with the can vertical.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

Thanks for the feedback. After a whole bunch of experimenting, he found that for him the most comfortable carry is with the sleeping bag, followed by the tent (both horizontal) on the bottom, then this clothing sack and his down jacket. Last the BV 500 goes in horizontally. It will fit horizontally, with about 1/3 of it going over the fill line, when you back it higher up in the back. His kitchen goes on one the the side pockets. In the front mesh pocket he has a Frog Togs Poncho as well as a pair of Barefoot water shoes. I guess it's all about personal comfort, and what works for your individual body type.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Packing a BV 500 into a ULA Circuit

Post by maverick »

Hi Ross,

Did you read this: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... d_id=77945" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ross939 »

Thanks, I'll check it out.