Glacier Bay Sun Gloves

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Glacier Bay Sun Gloves

Post by schmalz »

I'm enjoying my set so far. I found out this past weekend that they are (at least mostly) mosquito proof. That is a huge benefit. Beyond that and the obvious sun protection, they also make long days using trekking poles more comfortable, and they can be used to wipe down a sweaty forehead when needed.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
venturefar
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Glacier Bay Sun Gloves

Post by venturefar »

I don't hit the trail without mine. I don't wear DEET period and I only put sunscreen on my face. As a fisherman I don't have to worry about the backs of my hands getting roasted, as schmalz mentioned they are mostly mosquito proof (I'd conservatively say 85%+ effective), and if you wear them all day they protect your hands from windburn and abrasion. I've washed mine in the washing machine several times with no problems. At $15 they probably cost less than a season's worth of DEET and sunscreen. :thumbsup:
@aguabonita
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Glacier Bay Sun Gloves

Post by oldranger »

I bought 3 pairs of white cotton painters gloves for $5.00. One pair lasted all last season (over 60 days). Threw them in the washing machine after every trip. Then threw them out in November. This years pair have only a few days on them.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!