Footwear: What do you wear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Footwear: What do you wear?

Post by SandStorm »

Thanks everyone for contributing. I have learned a lot. Keep it coming. In the backcountry of the High Sierra, and around the world, the rate of death is proportional to the rate of preparedness.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Vaca Russ »

La Sportiva Glacier:
th[5].jpg
A big beefy boot for a guy who carries a heavy pack off trail. They fit like a glove. :nod:

-Russ

Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
OzSwaggie
Topix Acquainted

Post by OzSwaggie »

Zamberlan Cristallos. (I'm female.) Leather above-ankle boots. I love them! I have roley ankles. Some people start in heavy boots then lighten up. I went the other way. I carry about 35lbs with them. LIghter loads I like Oboz trail shoes. Day hikes I like my Helly Hansen Trail Lizards (trail runners). I have trouble getting shoes wide enough - these mentioned all work. Have fun! Don't we love our shoes, when they get put down thousands of times a day, with our weight and pack weight on them.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Vaca Russ wrote:La Sportiva Glacier:
th[5].jpg
A big beefy boot for a guy who carries a heavy pack off trail. They fit like a glove. :nod:
not just for guys with heavy packs - my daughter loved these in 2009 - only boot we could find in her size up for the distance and turned out to be fantastic.

GreenhornBackpacker
Topix Novice

Post by GreenhornBackpacker »

I wore Merrell trail runners on my first backpacking trip last week. They were great but what were really great were the Smartfeet insoles. I have had a Morton's neuroma for ten years. I'd have shooting burning pain after walking any distance, even after I stopped walking and was driving home. The pain was terrible.

I wore the Smartfeet insoles for the first time on the trails in Yosemite and it was like a miracle!! :heart: 26 miles of pain-free feet carrying a 25 pound pack over rocks and cobblestones. I highly recommend them.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

not just for guys with heavy packs - my daughter loved these in 2009 - only boot we could find in her size up for the distance and turned out to be fantastic.
IMG_1326[1].jpg
Fishmonger, this is my favorite picture on HST. The determination in her eyes says it all. It is particularly impressive when you know the route she was hiking!

Guitar Lake!! :rock: :rock:

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
no2haven
Topix Acquainted

Post by no2haven »

+1 on good insoles. I used to get heel blisters in my Asolos (very comfortable with some preemptive mole skin) but on a whim tried using my skiboot superfeet insoles...no rubbing or chafing at all. Definitely makes a difference.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
hanktheskier
Topix Newbie

Footwear: What do you wear?

Post by hanktheskier »

Just finished the JMT in Soloman trail runners. I don't think I will ever go back to boots. 200 miles with no blisters!
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

These days:

Lowa Mountain Experts (In snow when it is cold out)
Kayland MXT ( In snow)
Five Ten Guide Tennies (when there is some scrambling on the trip)
Five Ten Insights (when there is some scrambling on the trip - I haven't been wearing these much lately)
Brooks Cascadia (When I stay on the trail and there isn't any snow)
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Bought Vasque Bitterroots spring 2012. Heavy beasts that can brutalize terrain. Here coming down steep granite talus below the north side of Silver Fox Pass August 2012 carrying about 65 pounds: