Footwear: What do you wear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Footwear: What do you wear?

Post by schmalz »

I wear Keen shoes. They are pretty poorly made but they fit my foot better than any other shoe. I haven't had a blister in a few years now (knocks on shoe).
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by SandStorm »

Salomon makes some very good stuff. Used to wear those quite a bit.

Fishmonger, I absolutely love Sportiva Trangos. My favorite boot, really. Wore them religiously. Haven't since they changed the design, but I actually still have my old pair and am going to send them to Rocky Mountain to get the rand replaced.
SandStorm
Topix Acquainted

Post by SandStorm »

By the way, Scarpa makes a damn fine product. Wore those for a while, too. Thanks for the replies, guys.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Overheadx2 wrote:
Several weeks ago I bought the new Zamberlan mid Crossers and really like
them (probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. They have felt great
since the first day. Light, comfortable with a pretty stiff shank.
Where did you find these shoes? Saw them in Backpackers Magazine (Editor's Award)
and they have not been in stock anywhere, not REI, not Zappos (one size), and the
same for several other on-line retailers. It's ridiculous that Zamberlain cannot keep
up their inventory especially after it becomes an award winning shoe. :\ Usually
am not interested in mid or full boots only trail runners or hikers, but these looked
interesting, though the rep said they run a little wider which would be a problem.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

I'm currently hiking in Inov-8 Roclite 295's (2011 model). Nice lightweight trail runner that has a very sticky sole. Unfortunately Inov-8 changed up the last on these shoes and the 2013 model has a much narrower toe box. I'll be looking for some replacement trail runners later this year once my current Roclites wear out. My toes won't be happy in the newer model 295's.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Mav, they have them online at Sport Chalet. They sell Zamberlans at the store but not the Crosser. I tried on a different Z boot at the store to check the sizing and bought them online knowing I could return them to the store if they didn't fit right. Used some Sport Chalet rewards and bought them. My feet are size 13 and narrow. By far the best feeling boot I've ever worn. super light with very nice arch support.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

RichardCullip wrote:I'm currently hiking in Inov-8 Roclite 295's (2011 model). Nice lightweight trail runner that has a very sticky sole. Unfortunately Inov-8 changed up the last on these shoes and the 2013 model has a much narrower toe box. I'll be looking for some replacement trail runners later this year once my current Roclites wear out. My toes won't be happy in the newer model 295's.
Same here. Looking at either the Altra Lone Peak 1.5s (wider toe box) or the Hoka Stinson Evos (similar toe box) to replace my 295s when they bite the dust. Wish I picked up an extra pair of the 1st gen.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
PatrickQuin
Topix Regular

Post by PatrickQuin »

I'm curious about this very same topic. I am trying to pare down from my Salomon Quest's, which i love. I was hoping to use something like the x-ultra from Salomon but they have proved too narrow in the toe box. For those of you who carry heavier loads (40lbs and less) and have moved to lighter weight shoes. What has worked? Have you ever gone too minimal and had to move back towards a happy medium? Do you wear a heavier shoe when you know you will be doing a fair amount of off trail?
I am having a terrible time finding a mid height shoe with a wide toebox that will give me some semblance protection in an off trail situation.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Good luck Patrick. Montrail was my go to shoe for years, but then they
discontinued my go to shoe and introduced the Hardrocks which were
fine for two years but then they had to go play around with the last and
that glove like fit evaporated. Even though they fit fine I could go through
2-3 pairs in a season, one trip into the backcountry and they were thrashed.
Bought a pair right before one of my trips into Kaweah Basin, took them
back to the store right after my trip, and they could not believe that these
were the same brand new shoes from 10 days ago. Since then have tried
La Sportiva's which were pretty good but they got discontinued, Salewa (toebox
to narrow), and several other brands.
See if the Patagonia Drifter A/C's fit you, they are well built, and have
some decent toe room. There are just to many variables when it comes to fit
that you have to try them on and take them out on a few trips before coming
to a conclusion, unfortunately REI is the only store which will take back shoes
that have been taken outdoors and their offering is very sparse.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

More about Merrell Tail Gloves that I mentioned earlier in this thread:

Some cons: these shoes have less traction on wet rock than Vasque hiking boots. Also, they are easy to get wet when stepping into even shallow puddles. However these downsides are outweighed by the benefits. Also, these shoes dry quickly compared to regular shoes. I put some silicone sealant on sides near the soles to limit wetting in shallow water, and to protect some stitching close to the ground from abrasion on rocks.

Actually, it's not too bad to get feet wet as long as they are not too cold, and as long as moisture-softened skin doesn't get blisters. When I expect snow I take an extra pair of socks. After leaving snow I change my socks to speed up drying shoes and I hang wet socks on my pack to dry.

Also, although these shoes don't keep all of trail dust out it is not too bad to get feet dirty. I just rinse my feet in creeks. When going cross country, dust is usually not a problem.

Even though supposedly I need arch support, this is not an issue. I just needed to build up some strength in muscles that control feet. These shoes allow more foot movement than boots. One doesn't use such muscles when wearing boots.

Trail Gloves appear to be good for my knees. I am not sure how. Perhaps by building strength in other areas and not relying on quads so much. Also they allow more ways to place my steps.

I tried Vibram Five Fingers (VFF) too, but keeping toes separate makes them cold easily. VFF require toe socks. When wearing socks to stay warm, the already slow (due to cold) circulation to toes gets further impaired by tightness due to squeezing socks into narrow toe sockets. It took few weeks for tingling to subside completely after one cold wet day during a hike.

No such problems with Trail Gloves. For example, I wore them while walking for two days mostly in cold wet snow with no chance of drying. No issues.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.