Current vehicle of choice

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Current vehicle of choice

Post by TRAUMAhead »

A bit different gear post. ;) Just wondering what everyone drives to the trailhead. Started out with a '98 Caravan when I just got into hiking. That's been on some bad roads (White Mountain, Saline Valley, The Racetrack, and others). Rogue Photonic kept picking worse places to drive so I eventually ended up with a 2010 Jeep Wrangler. Currently at 70k miles, wouldn't doubt it if half of the miles were driving to trailheads and camping spots. If I was to choose again, I'd probably pick something like a Taco.

Last edited by TRAUMAhead on Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Vehicle of choice

Post by oldranger »

2000 4-Runner is usual vehicle. In the past when my wife was still working, I would take her Prius if the TH was on pavement. Looking to replace 4-Runner in a couple of years and considering lighter weight/higher mpg vehicle with less offroad capabilities but still good ground clearance for occasional nasty TH access. 4 wheel/awd is also requirement for 2nd vehicle for us up here in Central Oregon.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

2006 Ford F-250 Diesel. Comfy and safe, but...

Driving to Eastern Sierras solo from Orange County = ouch ($$$)!
Scouter9
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Scouter9 »

Whatever will get us there, depending where there is. Ha Ha! Not having a budget to buy whatever we like, we make do with what we can make work.

Usually, it's our year-one Ford Escape "4wd" with the six cylinder. That thing has nearly 200k on it and has been up plenty of rocky/rutted/snowy roads, but it's no 4-wheeler and sucks gas like a chain-smoker on lites. With roof rack, two bikes on the roof, two more on the tail and a full load, I managed a solid 13 mpg to Mammoth one year. #@$%!!! Sans rack and bikes, probably 15mpg these days, 17 when new. As it gets close to replacement (after this summer's sessions), we're likely to get a Subaru Outback.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I like my 4runner. High clearance and I can sleep comfortably in the back. With the limo tinted windows, I can sleep anywhere without anyone knowing I am inside snoozing.

I also have a tacoma with "long travel" desert suspension. It makes driving to the trailheads a breeze because I can go 40 mph over bumps that I have to go 15 mph over in the 4runner. The tacoma gets way better gas milage too

trauma...were you at the yosemite falls trailhead april 16th? is this your ride at the beginning of the video?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2774" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe the word "presently " would be a good idea to add onto your subject matter.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Most of the trailheads in the Sierra that interest me are accessible with a regular car. Depending on where you live gas costs can be a big deal (it is for me!). I had a beat-up old Toyota Corolla that got great mileage, had moderately good clearance, and was so beat up that I could care less if it got another scratch. Unfortunately the car died. I then inherited a Toyota Camry - it works well too but is not as fuel efficient. My husband has a gas guzzling 4wd truck that we use for those few trailheads where it is needed.
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

sparky wrote: trauma...were you at the yosemite falls trailhead april 16th? is this your ride at the beginning of the video?
If you're talking at 0:10, nope, not me.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
KathyW
Founding Member

Re: Current vehicle of choice

Post by KathyW »

2010 4WD Toyota Tacoma with a shell on it. I went over 100,000' miles this month; so the miles are adding up fast. This is my second Tacoma and I'll probably have a third eventually.

I just had my bicycle tuned up; so I'm starting to ride it when I have errands or shopping close to home. If I'm going to drive a gas guzzling vehicle, I have to cut back somewhere; so cycling a few miles instead of driving them each week is a start.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Re: Current vehicle of choice

Post by longri »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Most of the trailheads in the Sierra that interest me are accessible with a regular car. Depending on where you live gas costs can be a big deal (it is for me!).
++1

I have an inexpensive sedan that gets 35 MPG. It has poor clearance but I can coax it within hiking distance of most trailheads, maybe I have to walk an extra mile but that's okay. I have to put chains on in the winter since it isn't AWD. It's not sexy. But if you drive an SUV you may have seen me passing you uphill on the highway. My next car will be more fuel efficient, probably a little smaller, and more of a challenge to get to certain places. That's okay. I like to drive, but I like walk more than drive.