Bear-proof container or NOT???

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Bear-proof container or NOT???

Post by Jimr »

I have two large Garcia's and use one or both every trip. Although they are a pain to pack (especially when I carry two), I love them as camp stools. I've only hung food once, at Simpson Meadow, and slept with a food pillow twice (those were the two most nervous nights of my life). I'll stick with the cans.

Hey WD, you may consider using a stuff sack. Get a grommet tool from the hardware store and install two grommets on each end of the stuff sack. Stuff the can into the stuff sack and tie off, then thread lightweight rope in one grommet and out the other on each end and tie them off to either side of the pack. Sort of like a completely enclosed hammock.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
cahikr
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cahikr »

My large Garcia fits perfectly in a horizontal potion in the lower compartment of my Deuter ACT65 lite.
If I need additional food during my travel it is easily removed without disturbing anything else in my pack. Although I dont enjoy carrying a bear canister, I would rather not take any chances of loosing my food when I could be day's from a resupply.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

WD, i have imagined trying to use some sort of stretchy netting to keep it in place outside the pack.

Also i have carried food seperate the canister, and it seems "lighter" i think mainly because dense can objects create leverage. I also imagine fluffy down objects that want to expand in a way "holds up" some weight. I cant imagine this force to be very strong, but any bit helps!
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I once had a bear climb a tree where my food was hung and spend 3 hours breaking off every single branch until the branch with my food fell!
And I don't like to camp in the trees anyway...I prefer ridges and passes and high places with views and breezes to keep the skeeters away....
I use a bearikade. :)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Nod woods

I would have been chucking rocks at the bear until it gave up. Your experience is an example of why bear canisters are required in many areas.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!