Mapping programs??

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mapping programs??

Post by Snowtrout »

I've noticed that quite a few people on here have or use a topo program that allows them to trace their trail (with various colors), add captions, and pinpoint their exact mileage hiked.

My enquiring mind wants to know what program(s) are you guys and gals using to do this?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mapping programs??

Post by rlown »

for me, Garmin Mapsource. allows me to map out the route, even with snap-to capability for a trail, and then when I get home I can download any tracks back into the trip file.

I think Garmin has a newer version, but costs money and I like my maps from 2008. I have a US mapset and a Western National Parks set (which has more detail).
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Whatever program you eventually use, I highly suggest downloading a copy of gpsbabel, it's free and allows you to convert various types of gps data, including kml files, to and from other formats.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by longri »

I have TOPO. It has a lousy user interface but it's nice to be able to print out custom maps. It isn't very good at estimating distance though, especially on trails with switchbacks. Typically it underestimates by 10-20%. It does a little better with elevation gain but again, not highly accurate.

For just viewing topos online there are good websites that let you pan and zoom terrain. Here are a few:

http://www.closedcontour.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hillmap.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=36.57845 ... 4&z=14&b=t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (pointing at Mt. Whitney)

Is that Garmin product more accurate? If so, how? Is there a trail database that it draws on?
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Thank you guys for the responses. I do not have a loadable gps, so some of those progams will not help me unless I want to pay a lot of $$. But some of the other topo sites suggested were nice.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

I've used all the programs mentioned above and not one of them does it all. I've found that the Garmin Mapsource will draw a nice route over trails in the program, but when I export to a GPX file, it doesn't convert the route to points and just draws a straight line from one waypoint to another. I've been using the Topo software to add points to the route that will export properly to a GPX I can use in Google Earth. When it comes to illustrating routes for TRs and queries, I usually just download a topo from USGS and trace my route/create labels in Photoshop.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.