Water Filters

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Water Filters

Post by overheadx2 »

Good to know, thanks.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

I decided to grab a sawyer squeeze at rei. Seems like a great sytem. I like how light and versatile it is. Taking it up today for a test drive so we'll see if it replaces my katadyn permanently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I've used mine 3 trips this year and like it alot. The big issue is filling the "dirty" bag. The hole is small in the top and does not fill quickly. I use my cup to scoop water and fill it. It does it's job of filtering fast.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

I got to use my sawyer this weekend and love it. I think ill do a video review. It is hands down the most useful and versatile system ive ever seen or used. In my opinion it beats any pump, gravity system, uv, straw, filter bottle, etc.

Filling the bags in still water took me a sec to figure out. Blow into it so it opens, slightly squeeze the edges inward so it holds its open shape, submerge. It fills up just like a hard plastic bottle in seconds. Works great.

There are so many ways to use it im never going back! I could ramble for hours about this thing im totally sold.

ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

This last trip we used a Sawyer with their 4 liter bag. It was a bit of a pain to fill if there wasn't water flowing off a rock. Then I got smart and realized that if used as a scoop the pot I was going to be cooking in anyway, all problems were solved. For one fill up we had to use cheesecloth as a filter, but that really wasn't a big deal.

What I really liked was that with two bags of water, we were done for the evening, for the morning, and for filling Camelbaks. Plus, it was as fast and easy as advertised (no really, I'm not a shill for Sawyer). We got quick releases with valves for the Camelbaks, which turned out to be a boon because for the first time we didn't have the bite valves getting squished and water running into our packs. Also, filling up the Camelbaks was ridiculously easy.

This was waaaaay better than pumping!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

what can i say.. from what i saw and your report.. :thumbsup:
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

ManOfTooManySports wrote:This last trip we used a Sawyer with their 4 liter bag. It was a bit of a pain to fill if there wasn't water flowing off a rock. Then I got smart and realized that if used as a scoop the pot I was going to be cooking in anyway, all problems were solved. For one fill up we had to use cheesecloth as a filter, but that really wasn't a big deal.

What I really liked was that with two bags of water, we were done for the evening, for the morning, and for filling Camelbaks. Plus, it was as fast and easy as advertised (no really, I'm not a shill for Sawyer). We got quick releases with valves for the Camelbaks, which turned out to be a boon because for the first time we didn't have the bite valves getting squished and water running into our packs. Also, filling up the Camelbaks was ridiculously easy.

This was waaaaay better than pumping!
Glad im not the only one whose giddy about this thing :-)

Read my post above about filling the bags in still water. Works with the 3 bags that came with the system.

ManOfTooManySports
Topix Regular

Post by ManOfTooManySports »

Shepard80, I saw your post and will be so advised on our next trip. Thanks!
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I've been using a homemade gravity filter system utilizing the Sawyer filter for the last two Summers and it's fantastic. This year I added the Camelbak fresh reservoir carbon filter and highly recommend it. It only weighs an ounce or so and does a great job removing the "lake funk" taste. It is easy to add it to gravity as well as pump systems using available adapters.

http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawye ... ter-filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.rei.com/product/812018/camel ... oir-filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

somebody I know tried the Sawyer filter. While trying to rig up the system it dropped on the floor and shattered into a number of pieces. So unless you bring a backup, I'd suggest wrapping it in some tape to "ruggedize: it or just be extra careful,