Water Filters

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Water Filters

Post by sambieni »

Used Sawyer Squeeze last weekend for first time; sometimes as squeeze and sometimes as a "straw" screwed on Smart Water bottles.

Has anyone ever had issue with the plastic washer/o-ring coming out? After the 2nd-3rd time of use, every time I screwed/unscrewed filter from Smart Water bottle it would come undone and remain w/ the bottle.

I would have to fish it out w/ hands sometimes risking either losing it on trail or pushing it into the Smart Water bottle making hard to fish out - both not ideal.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

Never had any issues with my Sawyer over the last two years of owning it. I do recall, however, that the directions explicitly mention not to overtighten when attaching the filter due to damage it can do to the o-ring. I've also exclusively used the filter with the bag it came with.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Do you know where and when you picked up the parasite? What did you have to do to get rid of it?

I am gradually falling back into the no-filter/treat mode myself. Never had any problems. I now filter about 50% of the time, figuring it at least reduces the risk; did not treat at all on my last trip. My Sawyer Squeeze broke and I have not replaced it yet. I am very ambivilant on this issue. About the same level of ambivilance that I have about PLB's.
Alpinista55
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Alpinista55 »

The Katadyn BeFree filter system is worth a look. Faster flow rate that the Sawyer, and no backflushing required. I've carried mine on several 8-day hikes and love it. I have a Hydrapak Seeker 3-liter bag that I use at camp in gravity mode, as well as the .6 liter bag that came with the filter for direct drinking and squeeze filtering into a Platy soft bottle. They now have a 1-liter bag and a 3-liter gravity system that use the same filter.
jeremiahkim
Topix Regular

Post by jeremiahkim »

I'm actually surprised to see how many Steripen fans are here (although many of the posts may be dated at this point). I've always been wary of things requiring battery.

I've used the MSR gravity systems for a few years now. The Sawyer system is a bit more budget friendly but as many have pointed out, it's very nice to have a wide mouth when collecting water. For group trips, the gravity is really great. We learned the hard way that backflushing is key to maintaining flow rate.

We also carry iodine as back up.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Ashery wrote:Never had any issues with my Sawyer over the last two years of owning it. I do recall, however, that the directions explicitly mention not to overtighten when attaching the filter due to damage it can do to the o-ring. I've also exclusively used the filter with the bag it came with.
Yea, I realized this after the fact. I actually live chatted REI the other day to see if they had extra O-Rings or suggestions for them. Instead, REI just said keep the filter and they would send a brand new one out for free. That wasn't expected, but certainly welcome. \:D/

But still, I won't be using the bag it came with. I just don't like them. Picked up an Evernew 2 Liter to serve as in-camp reservoir and as a squeeze bag when I don't want to drink thru the filter on top of my Smart Water.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ashery »

Yea, as much as I love to support smaller, independent stores, REI's return policy is just too generous to give up.

The bag's definitely a pain to use, so I don't blame you for ditching it. It took me several trips before I got a process down, though it's always rough on my hands several days into a trip.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Ashery - Backcountryedge.com is as good if not better than REI's.. And way smaller "mom and pop." 1 year returns; no question similar to REI. Free shipping. No tax. Plus almost always can get a 20% off online coupon. And their phone customer service rocks in addition to their online product videos. Really like this place.
mrphil
Topix Regular

Post by mrphil »

Sambieni-

For parts like o-rings, barbed nylon fittings and vinyl/rubber tubing, hardware stores like Ace and True Value are great resources. A lot of their products can be picked through until you find what you're looking for. They're also handy for times when you have an idea or need to make a modification and just want to see what's available that might work.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Thanks MrPhil. That was going to be my next step; just surprised REI so quickly offered to send a new one. I may still run to Lowes/Home Depot to pick up a spare washer or two to bring along w/ me - clearly this is an issue for Sawyer products.