Ever wash your gear? | High Sierra Topix  

Ever wash your gear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Ever wash your gear?

Postby oldranger » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:49 am

Just washed one of my Exos 58s in prep for sending in for biennial repairs. I'll bet at least 2 oz. of dirt and pine needles emerged!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!

oldranger
Topix Junkie

Experience: N/A

Re: Ever wash your gear?

Postby richlong8 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 am

I washed my Big Agnes Fly Creek tent this year for the first time. It was required before they would repair the tent. I did not realize how stained the tent had become, and I told the rep, this tent has been cleaned, but no one would really call it clean, cleaner, but not clean.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby Scouter9 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:21 pm

I hose out my backpack every ten years, whether it needs it or not.

I hose off the tents if they ever get mudded or even gritty. I'm not so concerned with stains, but abrasion from dirt. If food's been spilled, definite hose & dry.

I spend a day at the giant commercial wash-n-dry with our down bags once they get a little oily looking on the interior or get a good sweating from some kind of mistake, etc... We're pretty good with bag practices and this takes a few years to come up.

On trail, I wash my underwear and socks every day I've got plentiful water to haul up and away to the wash site, swapping them for my alternate set as they dry.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Postby oldhikerQ » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:18 am

After every trip, I turn my tent inside out to get out the dirt and pine needles and then wipe it down inside and out with a damp sponge. It then hangs over a rack in the garage to dry before going back into its stuff sack. Other gear gets the same treatment if it looks dirty.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldhikerQ
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby markskor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:12 am

Wait...You are supposed to wash your gear?

Other than my sleeping bag - (Every 4 or 5 years or so... and only if/when needed) -
I always wash my tent when camped - every time it rains.

Seriously though, I usually wash (hose down) gear at the end of the season...maybe.
Important that all gear is bone dry before packing anything away.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby RoguePhotonic » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 pm

I do wash my sleeping bag each year. If I ever stop working 7 days a week I will get to it. Other than that not really. I have washed a pack before but I don't do that much. I never wash my tents either.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Postby AlmostThere » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:58 pm

I wash my clothes... once in a while.

Oh, and I hosed off the tent the other day. A couple nights under some tamarisks and it looked speckled and the floor had a lot of the needles inside.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby maverick » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:12 am

Rarely, and only when needed.
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby sparky » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:20 am

I hosed out a tent a couple years ago, but that was it for gear. Like the others I do wash my sleeping bag once every couple seasons. I do wash my hiking clothes between trips. I rinse my clothes out during my trips though too.
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Postby rlown » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:30 pm

the tents and packs have only been shaken out. never washed. obviously, the pots/pans and clothes get washed. But then, i don't have to send my tioga in for repair biannually.

Sleeping bags gets washed depending on use/sweat factor. Usually every other year. 3 years on the Badger so far and no wash. A sleeping bag wash is a slow soak in a tub. no Machine will touch the badger or my other bags.
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby LMBSGV » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 pm

My wife washes our zip-together sleeping bags when she thinks they start to get too disgusting - about every 3 years. She does it on gentle in our front-loader washer using the down soap/detergent you can get at REI. The tents get cleaned (beyond the daily when camping shake-out) only when it's been in the rain and mud. I spread it out, hose it down, and scrub off the mud/dirt.
LMBSGV
Topix Expert

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix