Who bought what?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
RobS
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Who bought what?

Post by RobS »

ULA catalyst backpack
BA Flycreek 2 platinum
Exped UL 7 Synmat
Sawyer squeeze filter
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

per the wyldedge discussion on lures. This is on their homepage at: http://wyldedge.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ATTN:

Wyld Edge Outfitters is "Closing It's Doors" We have enjoyed selling our lures to our loyal customers over the last nine years, and we want to thank you all for your support. (RL: There is no date specified so I don't know if this is a post from last year or this year)

Update:

By popular demand....

"I have been trying to call you all week to place an order and I just saw you are shutting down!!??
Is there any way I can get one more order in (now a larger order)?? These truly are the best lures. If not complete lures can I buy some components from you to build my own?

Please, please, please! "

Ken Conser
Pittsburg, CA

" Dear Wyld Edge,

I'm sorry to hear that you are closing your shop. The lures you make are the best I have ever used for trout fishing. If you still have any rainbow or brown trout lures in stock I would be interested in purchasing a bulk order. Thank you again for making such great lures. Charlie

Ward IV = "

" NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Eric! Get back at me if this reached you!

Mike Stevens

Biggest Wyld Edge fan on earth "

.....Alright, alright, guys simmer down. We have decided to take our very last bulk orders. The sale will last from now until June 30th. After the 30th we will not take any more orders. Only orders of 10 or more lures will be honored. If anyone has been thinking about getting one of our awesome ultra light trout rods now is the time to do that as well. The rest of our stock we will be jealously hoarding for ourselves!

Post Script: We have very little finished lures in stock so your bulk orders will take us some time to complete. Please be patient with us, we have to fish too!

E-mail us at admin@wyldedge.com to order and if you have any questions.

Thanks to Everyone!
Shai and Eric Plummer
Wyld Edge Outfitters
A major bummer.. two great lure companies gone.

Russ
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well I put in my order for a new Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus. I got my other two Hexamids back from Zpacks fixed up but i'd rather not take the chance that the one I used last year will shred apart on my half way through this hike.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

As i don't know zpacks, but if you have two already fixed up, and you cant trust them, why do you buy them?

EDIT: ok, Rogue, I looked them up.. looks like everyone gets free shipping as everything is over 100 buxx. :D
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

One of them is the standard Hexamid which is too small to want to use for a long trip again. The other is the tent I used last year which began fraying in allot of locations. It's just that it's made out of cuben fiber so it does not last. They even list it on their site that one should last you for 1 thru-hike on a major trail like the PCT.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Windshirt - Patagonia Houdini. Grabbed one at Patagonia's half-off sale!

Down parka - Montbell UL Down parka. I wanted a bit more warmth than my previous jacket, Montbell UL Thermawrap. I also wanted a hood. So much warmer when you can block the biting cold from the back of your neck.

Tartpent - Moment DW. Traded out for my version 1 Tarptent Moment.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I have not bought anything this year(for a change!). I am about ready to buy AquaMira water treatment drops, and perhaps a Lifestraw, and experiment with leaving my Katadyn Hiker at home. I have noticed the Katadyn water filter, as soon as it gets wet from use, is much heavier than the advertised weight of 11 ounces, and you can almost buy a new one for the cost of a new filter! I am also buying a smaller, lighter camera bag, and a lighter tripod, but have not made the final decision yet on which models to buy. I got a free repair on my tent from Big Agnes, and a repaired my backpack also. I may buy another lightweight fishing reel. I am down to one reel...my repair of a sticky Pflueger did not go well, when a spring flew out across the kitchen counter! I may lighten up on my cookware also. For me, it is all about cutting weight, without cutting my enjoyment.
bluefish
Topix Acquainted

Post by bluefish »

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/spor ... /cat101538" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These Crocs are expensive, but as an avid, no obsessed, flyfisherman these worked very well for wet wading many rivers and for crossings, besides use in my yak and raft. I also use them as camp shoes . On one long crossing of a snow field my wife was slipping horribly in trail runners and I went back and gave her the Crocs to try. They stuck well. The soft rubber soles are meant for water traction and seem to adhere to lots of surfaces. They have never thought about coming loose and I've used them for some impromptu bouldering and scrambles.

Having blown the bank on upgrades for my wife and I last year, my only purchase this year so far has been an Orvis Superfine Touch 1 wt. Can't wait to use it up high.

Charlie
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

New hiking pants to replace the ones with the ripped out butts. Then there's the continuous replacement of socks, running shoes, and approach shoes. Luckily the heavier boots last a long time.

A new Osprey Viva 65 pack - it has not arrived yet. I had a $20 REI divident and the 20% of coupon helped. $199 retail price is pretty low for an Osprey pack. I have an old Osprey Aerial (must be 10 years old or so) that I love but it is getting pretty beat-up. It's funny that my old Aerial weighs less than the new versions. The Viva is comparable in weight to my old Aerial 65. Last year I picked up an Aerial 75, which I'll continue for some trips, but it is overkill for most of backpacking trips.

I don't think I'll need to buy much else this year except maybe a new day pack if the patches on my favorite one don't hold.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

KathyW wrote:New hiking pants to replace the ones with the ripped out butts
Likewise. Had to toss blown out pants. Last 6 days were spent with Duct tape holding pants together.