Who bought what?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Mradford
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Who bought what?

Post by Mradford »

markskor wrote:
Mradford wrote:I purchased a Western Mountaineering Ultralight 20 degree down bag...amazing!
Very few gear purchases elicit this type of satisfied response…
Still remember my first WM bag – the Apache. I had a POS Sierra Design down before…was OK but always wondered what the deal was with those expensive WM bags.
Thought that no way could any bag be worth the big dollars they asked…so I froze a few years more.
One day soon enough I pulled the trigger and just one night in that bag, and I could kick myself for not buying earlier. Agree, yes, amazing. Trouble is – now you are bag spoiled. After my Apache was “borrowed” from Camp 4 a few years back, I tried to make do for a few seasons with first a Cat’s Meow, and then the Helium…both good down bags but not the same.

My Badger is my favorite piece of gear…the first night and every night spent inside since it was bought.
Buy the best…once. If you are considering purchasing a new sleeping bag, never compromise… you will always regret not spending a few more dollars now and settling for something less on the trail.

I know I am. Luckily when I purchased it I was working at an outdoor retail store, so it did not cost me an arm and a leg.
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by artrock23 »

I just recently bought a MSR Hubba 1 tent. Love it! The tent I used previously was a Kelty Yosemite 2-man. Although it was great when tentbound, the 5.5lbs weight was hard to justify under any conditions. Since the Hubba is 2lbs 12oz, the weight savings were huge.

Also upgraded my sleeping bag from a Big Agnes 'Mica' (rated at 25 degrees = BS) for a far superior Marmot 'Helium'.

Latest purchases (none have been used yet): Sea To Summit compression dry-sack, REI 'Airrail' sleeping pad, Petzl 'Adjama' climbing harness, Evolv climbing shoes.

Gear upgrades = :D
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

KathyW wrote:New hiking pants to replace the ones with the ripped out butts. Then there's the continuous replacement of socks, running shoes, and approach shoes. Luckily the heavier boots last a long time.

A new Osprey Viva 65 pack - it has not arrived yet. I had a $20 REI divident and the 20% of coupon helped. $199 retail price is pretty low for an Osprey pack. I have an old Osprey Aerial (must be 10 years old or so) that I love but it is getting pretty beat-up. It's funny that my old Aerial weighs less than the new versions. The Viva is comparable in weight to my old Aerial 65. Last year I picked up an Aerial 75, which I'll continue for some trips, but it is overkill for most of backpacking trips.

I don't think I'll need to buy much else this year except maybe a new day pack if the patches on my favorite one don't hold.
I'm really disappointed with the Osprey Viva 65 pack. One of the stretch side pockets has a hole in it and the stretch back pocket has two big holes in it. The hole in the side pocket happened when I was out in rugged terrain, but there's no excuse for the big holes in the back pocket. Also, the pack is not comfortable - no matter how much I adjust the back. Another thing that bothers me is that the pockets on the belt are set too far back to be very useful.

So, I'm going to try to return it to REI. I'm not sure if they'll take it back because they don't have as good a return policy as they used to, but it's worth a try.

I'm going to give one of those Boreas Lost Coast 60 Pack's a try next.
sheperd80
Topix Regular

Post by sheperd80 »

I got a head start and rounded out my gear early this year. Had most of it stuffed-in/strapped-on the old kelty framepack and ready for summer....Then some A-hole stole my pack (along with a bunch of tools) from my garage.

So i started over with some more modernized, packable gear. Gregory pack, cheap ozark 32 bag, thermarest scout, rei convertibles, rei shell, hiker pro, merrel boots, socks, fleece, first aid, cheap msr clone, sawvivor, Kabar bk9, etc etc.

For the most part ive upgraded. Im definitely an internal-frame convert. Once I learned how to fit em and fill em properly I was impressed. I like the Gregory Contour 60. It wasnt my first choice but for $115 in near perfect condition I couldnt pass it. And now my sleep pad, bag, jacket etc are MUCH smaller and lighter.

Thank you REI garage sale! ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
flyfisher70
Topix Acquainted

Post by flyfisher70 »

Just updating the items on my list.
Bearikade Weekender
Snow Peak GigaPower Lite Max
Big Agnes Pomer Hoit SL sleeping bag

Just added to list
Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 Platinum Tent
Petzl Tikka 2
OR Bug Bucket
Sea To Summit UL Spoon
Snow Peak Titanium cup
REI Micro Fiber Towel
Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Sleeping Pad
TRAUMAhead
Topix Acquainted

Post by TRAUMAhead »

Clothes:
Arc'teryx Squamish Hoody
Arc'teryx Delta LT Jacket
Arc'teryx Motus short sleeve shirt x 2
Arc'teryx Rivet gloves
prAna Brion pants
Altra Superior 2.0s
Injinji 2.0 Outdoor Midweight Crew NuWool Socks

Gear:
ZebraLight H600w Mk II 18650
ZebraLight H600Fw Mk II 18650
Ultimate Direction AK 2.0 Race Vest

Wishlist:
Enlightened Equipment Revelation 40*
Enlightened Equipment Sleeping Bootys
Exped Synmat UL7 LW
Montbell Frost Smoke Parka
Locus Gear CP3 Trekking Poles

Debating on whether to return the Arc'teryx Delta LT jacket. Arms are a bit long and length is a bit short. Thinking a thicker base layer would work better than the 100 wt fleece.
“The word adventure has gotten overused. For me, when everything goes wrong - that’s when adventure starts.” - Yvon Chouinard
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I got a new prolite plus air mat, and am thinking about getting a new WM bag. Need a new rain jacket. Might try WDs suggestion and try montbell. My down jacket is montbell and I have been very happy with it for the last 7 years .

I am not much of a gear junky. I just have what I need and use, and have given away what I don't use
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Just a big shout out to Klymit's customer service dept.
My LWD raft sprang a leak, the end of last summer - the small butt chamber...(FYI, no comments needed - :moon:)...Was just sittin' and fishin' and Poosh! FYI, happened at Ingleborg Lake, Sawtooth Range, fishing with the OldRanger, as usual... we had the lake all to ourselves.

Last week, I wrote to Klymit, enclosing a few pics of where it burst, hoping for a "send-it-in fix" thing (would gladly pay something?) as it is not that new anymore...a few years old and 25 - 30 lakes raft-fished so far. Well, they said that the earliest models (like mine) - they had discovered some issues and...bottom line... they are sending me a new one free. Wow!
Super impressed - thanks Klymit!

edit to add...came in today's mail...cool!
Mountainman who swims with trout
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Its funny! I bought an almost $500 1 person tent, which I like, but my favorite purchase of 2015 was an Outdoor Research ball cap style hat with a fleece lining, earflaps that tuck inside the hat so I don't look more like a gomer than I already do, and also Gortex in it. Purchased in Canada just before embarking on a backcountry trip that involved rain and snow every day and it did the job. This winter it has done yeoman duty cross-country skiing and when fishing. Best of all it has the initials of my internet handle on the front!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:Its funny! I bought an almost $500 1 person tent, which I like, but my favorite purchase of 2015 was an Outdoor Research ball cap style hat with a fleece lining, earflaps that tuck inside the hat so I don't look more like a gomer than I already do, and also Gortex in it. Purchased in Canada just before embarking on a backcountry trip that involved rain and snow every day and it did the job. This winter it has done yeoman duty cross-country skiing and when fishing. Best of all it has the initials of my internet handle on the front!
we use them all the time hunting. I have 2. both Gortex. As I'm bald, they are important. Both are camo. One has fleece and the other has thinsulate. Ear-flaps are really nice. When your duck hits the ice, your're probably in the thinsulate hat. :) I don't need the logo. where's that pic, btw?