Tent Stakes | High Sierra Topix  

Tent Stakes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Tent Stakes

Postby maverick » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:59 pm

Any personal preferences when it comes to stakes? Steel, aluminum or carbon? Do you
use tent stakes of pegs? Any one use rocks as anchors in place of stakes?
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tent Stakes

Postby Rockchucker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:56 pm

Msr ground hogs, myog ti shepherd hooks. I reinforce with rocks all the time.
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby RoguePhotonic » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:28 pm

This year I am going to do a mix. I need 10 stakes for a Hexamid Solo Plus so I will use 4 MSR Groundhogs for the primary anchors and then 6 Zpacks Vargo Titanium stakes for the rest of them and then this will cut the weight.

Hopefully I will not leave the whole pack after the first night this time!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby oldhikerQ » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:29 pm

I use Easton stakes for the main points and MSR mini groundhogs for the balance of the stakes for my BA Fly Creek 2.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
oldhikerQ
Topix Acquainted

Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Postby oldranger » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Maverick

As I've said before I usually carry fewer stakes than optimal and have been known to use 100% rocks and tree branches when lacking soil. I kind of like the v shaped stakes that come with the Big Agnes tents. The hollow round pegs I got with one tent tend to break at inopportune times.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldranger
Topix Junkie

Postby Ikan Mas » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:22 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I don't need to buy expensive stakes. There are plenty laying around in the backcountry camps, both close in and way out. I'm amazed how many I find, and some darn nice ones. Last Sierra trip, a couple of nice needle like with a x cross section. Those are sweet. Just don't drive them into a tree root.
Ikan Mas
Topix Regular

Postby Scouter9 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:48 am

I like the stakes that come with Big Agnes tents, and I use mine. They're light and have been grippy and durable. I also use rocks and tie-offs to landscape features with my guy lines.
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Postby richlong8 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Ikan Mas wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I don't need to buy expensive stakes. There are plenty laying around in the backcountry camps, both close in and way out. I'm amazed how many I find, and some darn nice ones.

Guilty.
I am sorry to say I have accidentally left a stake here and there in my travels. I always wonder how I could have been so stupid. In 3 years, I was 3 stakes short on my Big Agnes tent, so I bought a set of MSR groundhogs to replace them, and have been happy with them.
My greatest losses so far were a pair of prescription sunglasses I lost while fishing on Tyndall Creek south of the ranger station (somewhere), and a Buck knife that I must have left on the SE corner of Lower Indian Lake, after cleaning a fish, and walking back to Rae lake. Enjoy. I have found everything from fishing poles, knives, sunglasses, water bottles, etc; and lots of trash! I try to leave anything nice sitting on a rock on a trail,just in case......but, I am not sure why.
Trash, I try to carry out. Then again, if I found a chest of gold, I would probably carry that out too, and do my part to help keep the wilderness clean!
richlong8
Topix Expert

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix