Wet Socks | High Sierra Topix  

Wet Socks

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Wet Socks

Postby maverick » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm

What's your method with dealing with wet socks and how do you get them dry?
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Wet Socks

Postby Rockchucker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

If possible I prefer sundried socks, helps to kill bacteria. Other wise it depends if I can have a fire.
I'm no suture for my future.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby RoguePhotonic » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

I change socks. :D

I carry 3 pairs of socks out there so it would have to be a pretty extreme circumstance to have all my socks soaked at the same time.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Postby BrianF » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm

Depends on the situation. I only ever wear merino wool socks with no liner and I usually have two pairs with me on a longer trip. If my socks get wet from a creek crossing slip or because I wash them, I wring them out well and, if it is not raining, I'll hang them on the outside of my pack and then in the sun when I get to camp. At night I will hang them in the tent. If I only have one pair, wring them and wear them
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
BrianF
Topix Regular

Postby austex » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:15 pm

Wringing the wetness out of them will stretch and deform them. So gently squeeze them to get them to a damp stage. Spare socks are a necessity. If they don't dry overnight tie them to the outside of my pack the following morning. Wool dries pretty quickly and if not 100%;they are still warm.
austex
Topix Regular

Postby The Other Tom » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Rockchucker wrote:If possible I prefer sundried socks, helps to kill bacteria. Other wise it depends if I can have a fire.

Got mine too close to a fire one night....oops :crybaby: Won't make that mistake anymore. Now I try to wash while there's still ~ 1-2 hours of sunlight and lay them on a rock, facing the sun, to dry. I wear wool socks and wring them out prior to drying.
Last edited by The Other Tom on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Postby Troutdog 59 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:03 pm

I also wear merino wool with no liner, and I typically carry 2 to 3 pair depending upon the duration of the trip. I have carried up to 5 pair of socks in the past if we were going in in the early season and the trails were to be full of runoff, but thats not typical. If wet and the weathers good, then they sun dry around camp or on the outside of my pack if moving. If the weathers bad, I press the moisture out the best I can and wear another pair. if all are wet, then I use the driest pair I have. Not much else you can do.
If you stand in the light, you get the feel of the night, and the music that plays in your ear......
In your mind you can hear, a voice so sweet and clear, and the music that plays in your head......
As it flows up from the ground, taking all that hear the sound, close your eyes, it’s about to begin.

R. Trower
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Postby markskor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Drying socks...I thought that's what hiking poles were for.
Just stick poles in ground, slip socks over handles.

Added benefit is that no critters can nibble on the cork overnight as deep inside socks.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby rlown » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 pm

Whatever you do with your socks; Don't ever let Mark take off his shoes in your back seat after the walk out. :eek:
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby Wandering Daisy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:55 pm

I carry 3 pair of socks and wash/roate two day. They dry hanging on the back of my pack during the day. I keep one pair for sleeping only (and as emergency). I am really fussy about keeping the inside of my sleeping bag clean so I never wear hiking clothes inside my bag and take a bath every day after the hike. When I hike the coast, I just wear wet socks because after about 5 days everything is wet anyway. All my socks are Smartwool. I wring the heck out of them and it does not seem to distort the shape much.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Junkie

Postby sparky » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 pm

I do the same as others mentioned. I bring 3 pair, wash and dry daily. I don't have dedicated sleeping socks though.

I like the padded hikers from sports chalet. Super comfy, and fit my feet perfect.
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.
sparky
Topix Expert

Postby Colter » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:11 pm

I'm another that has dedicated sleeping socks. Dryer, warmer, cleaner for your bag.

I do almost all my sock drying by hanging them on the sunny side of my pack, inside out, my theory being that the "loops" inside present more drying surface area. My socks (Darn Tough fan) seem to put up with wringing so I'll wring the #@$^ out of them before drying.

There are times where wet socks are just a reality and about the only thing to to is dwell on the fun part of the trip and ignore the wet feet.
Colter
Topix Acquainted

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix