REI Flash 65vs. Flash 62

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: REI Flash 65vs. Flash 62

Post by cloudlesssky »

My gear list from last years JMT is attached (MS Excel format). I used a Osprey Exos 58 (which is about 62L in the large size).
Lightweight Gear List JMT for upload.xls
This is the perfect time of year to gear up. Keep your options open and the shopping list ready. The sales are just starting and you can also watch ebay for some good deals. For example I bought the BA Flycreek tent new for under $200 by just watching ebay for a week or so. You can also get last years cast-offs from "gear-o-philes" for a song (sometimes).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Baffman
Topix Regular

Re: REI Flash 65vs. Flash 62

Post by Baffman »

I used a 65 for two seasons. I ripped the waist belt stitching by pulling too tight and REI replaced it with a 62. All I really wanted was to have them stitch it up. It was my fault. I haven't used the 62 yet, but it seems pretty darn similar. For $80 I'd probably use the 65 since I know I like it. Great idea to try them both in the store though. Also, how often will he use the pack? It might make sense to save the money.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted

REI Flash 65vs. Flash 62

Post by Ross939 »

Thanks for the gear list and the recommendation on the Flash. I have also been looking at the Granite Gear packs, which seem to have a lot to offer. I'm still leaning towards the Flash 65 on the reason you mentioned and that was the amount he will be using it . We plan on a number of three day hikes through the spring and summer, but he's 16, and right now fits perfect in a medium pack. Just worried that he may well grow out of it in a season and be ready for a large.

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk