Bearikade for JMT

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
ndwoods
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Bearikade for JMT

Post by ndwoods »

Btw they offered to replace my oring...I might at some point...I do just turn my canister upside down in rain. There is no way a fang or claw could get in mine even with the cracked oring...it's a tight fit.

Back to the poster who said it's a lifelong investment...if you are going to use it, then go for it! I have used the devil out of mine!:)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Longri, the o-rings are easy to remove and replace. My big o-ring was all cracked, but the 3 small ones located on the quarter turn fasteners look just like new. The fastener is held onto the lid by an E-ring on the back side of the lid and yes, apparently there are 2 different thicknesses out there. I think it's too bad Wild-ideas does not sell repair kits. Kinda like selling a car without providing the parts for repair and it's so easy to do.

Ndwoods, you are correct, after I removed all the o-rings, there was some slop, but not enough for claw or fang. With them gone, the can had to be turned upside down to get the lid off.

Simply turning the can upside down will is certainly keep the contents dry but ignoring equipment wear and tear could come back to haunt in unpredictable ways. The o-rings were not put there just for looks.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
tomba
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by tomba »

I asked Wild Ideas about the cable that holds the lid.
"This lanyard is designed to help keep the hatch from getting bent by stepping on it when not attached."
"The only consequence of having a hatch that is not flat is the increased possibility of moisture getting inside because of improper seating against the o-ring."
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.