UL x XL gravity filter

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

UL x XL gravity filter

Post by overheadx2 »

Since it was raining today and I was bored, I decided to update and reduce the weight of my gravity filter. Instead of the 2 platapus bags, I punched a hole in a 13 liter Sea to Summit dry stuff sack and screwed the male and female ends together with the sil nylon bag in between. huge water capacity as a group filter, and super light. I still couldn't get the whole picture to show on the page, but I think you get the idea, Check it out

mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: UL x XL gravity filter

Post by mschnaidt »

Very nice. I like the weight savings using the dry sack. I put together a similar system last year and love it. Awesome for large groups. I used it on 3 trips over 13 days and none of us want to go back to pumping.

See thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7251" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I switch over to the dry sack it cuts approx 5 oz of weight out of my system.

I appreciate the post!

M
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

M, I used a hole punch from a grommet set to make a clean hole. I plan on placing another 8 L dry sack under the 13 L to filter water into so you don't have to constantly watch your bladder as you fill up. as you can see in the pic I also cut out a round piece of a metal coffee filter and placed it in the top of the tube to filter out large objects easily.
If you don't want to spend money on a platapus threaded tube (I had an old one) I made last year using threaded 1/4 inch coupler and tubing from an aquarium store. That bag was heavier and very rugged due to using a heavier O. R. stuff sack but it didn't go through the treads as well. I ended up using aquarium calking to seal the threads.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

I like the coffee filter screen. Nice work. I'll be using your ideas in my updated system.

Thank you!

Michael
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

I love the gravity filters. No more kneeling at the water and pumping for 10 min. Being able to filter 5 - 7 liters of water at night while you are sitting around so you have all the water you will need in the AM without having to get cold and wet was the biggest reason for it. That, and the fact that I am always trying to figure out a better way to do things.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

overheadx2

How do the gravity filters work when you are on the trail or get into camp late and need drinking water? Which one works for you?

Thanks

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

They actually are just slightly slower than a regular filter. They say something like 5 liters in 10 min and that seems about right. With the filters you just set it and forget it. On the trail, we stop and hang the filter right away and have 2-3 L of water in about 5 min (actually we each get about a half liter to start with then we filter 1 L or 2 per person over the next ten min while we rest and snack). At camp, I fill it with water as soon as I get to camp, hang it from a tree and fill bladders and dinner pots while we set up camp. In 10 min you have all the water you need.The second bag is nice since you don't have to keep changing out 2 liter bladders. After wards I refill the bag and either filter another 5-7 liters for the morning into a second stuff sack with just a hose or leave it there to filter in the the AM so you don't have to go down to the lake or creek. I unusually go with 2-3 friends, so I like the sea to summit 13 L, but the 8L would be perfect for smaller groups. Of course you are not going to put 8 L in and 8L bag.
I like the sawyer one since it is cheapest and comes with a back wash connection, but I think they are all pretty similar.The gravity filters are made of micro tubes, so they shouldn't be left out to freeze causing the tubes to burst and loose giardia filtration. I usually put the hose above the water line so wont flow and take the filter off the hose. I then drain any excess water,place it in a zip lock baggy and place it in my bag with me.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

My experience is the same as Overhead's. Both on the trail or in camp. While the pumps are a bit quicker, the convenience of the gravity filter is amazing. In the group I hike with we have three 4 liter MSR Dromedary bags. In camp we attach a bag and walk away. 10 mins later we swap in the next one. They fill very quickly when you are occupied with other things.

On the trail isn't quite as convenient. The slower filtering speed is a bigger factor in this situation. Especially if you need to kick out 4 liters or more. Our group also carried a pump as it was the first time we used the gravity system. The pump got used once in 8 days and the guy who did the pumping wasn't thrilled afterward. We all got spoiled quickly.

At the end of an 8 day trip we all felt that the system was a "must have" in the future.

M
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Finally something I don't have that I need to buy this year! :rolleyes:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!