Cross Country Ski Package??

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Cross Country Ski Package??

Post by KathyW »

I'm interested in doing some cross county ski touring on gentle terrain (not in tracks) - rolling hills with gentle to moderate slopes. Nothing too vertical. Does anyone have any suggestion on skis, bindings, and boots for a beginner? I want something that will be okay if I advance to an intermediate level.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: Cross Country Ski Package??

Post by oldranger »

I strongly suggest you try out different boot/ski combos by renting. Personnaly I prefer Backcountry Nordic Norm bindings and boots over the lighter binding/boot combinations. I have a pair of track skiis that have backcountry NN bindings so I need only one pair of boots for the two pair of skiis I use. It is weird but early in the season the snow in central oregon is usually soft and dry--I use my track skiis most then. But the skiis I use most of the time are double cambered, light, metal edged skiis with some sidecut. I can actually telly on them in moderate terrain. The metal edges are great when there is a midwinter dry spell and the ski surface gets hard. The bcnn binding/boot combo also adds to your control if you get into an icy patch.

There is also a choice in ski design. The tradition long and skinny or shorter and wider. Long and skinny tend to be faster and shorter and wider more stable.

To me the number one concern is boot comfort--no blisters and enough support so my ankles don't get sore. Specific boot recommendations from me or anyone else will not help because your feet are unique to you.

I also always buy boots new but frequently buy skiis at swaps. Remember that if you are going to buy a package new that REI has a wonderful return policy if the package doesn't work out.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I second the motion on renting if you can , to try out some stuff.

In general, get the boots first. Boots must fit well, so I would find boots first, and then get bindings to suit, as you might find that the only boots that fit you right are 3-pins, or NNN-BC, or Salomon (all mutually incompatible).

My personal opinion is to get more boot rather than less - you'll have more control, especially important for a beginner.

Metal edges are very nice if it gets icy, and not much downside to them in softer snow. You'd be looking at the narrowest metal-edged skis.

Some skis:
Salomon XADV 59
Madshus Glittertind
Fischer S-bound 78
Atomic Rainier

There are quite a few skis that will work well for what you have in mind, and most likely you'd have fun on any of them, so I would be less concerned about getting the "right" skis than getting boots that fit well. Like the oldranger says, comfortable boots are a must, and boots that don't fit will ruin all your fun.

Oh, and one more thing - if in doubt about ski lengths, go shorter. A ski that is too long for your weight will not grip well - totally frustrating. A ski that is a little short is just slightly slower on the glide - no big deal.
BrianF
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by BrianF »

+1 on the boots and trying out rentals. It has been a long time since I have purchased skis, so I can't help there, but if you are going up the Eastside I can recommend both Wilsons in Bishop and Brian's in Mammoth as good places for rentals and info. I have rented skis for my son at both and it was good equipment. There are some great ares to ski between Mammoth and June Lake near Deadman Summit and Glass Flow rd. where you can either use the groomed tracks (good for practicing your stride and glide) or get off track into some good rolling terrain either through the trees or in open areas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

Thanks - very helpful information. Living in Southern California means I probably don't have a great place to rent close to home. It sounds like it might be a good idea to make a couple trips to the Eastern Sierra over the winter to rent and try out some gear. I'll place my emphasis on finding the correct boots as suggested. Also, the suggestion on ski length and going shorter when in doubt is helpful.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Timely topic as I too am getting my X-country together and also have a few questions.

Learning to ski on the frozen lakes of Mammoth years ago, I discovered that what skis - boots - bindings you purchase depends on what type terrain you intend covering. The OP mentioned rolling hills and off trail, no set tracks, and not steep. Good information then follows about renting ski packages before buying...Great way to find out what works for you. Many wax-less/ fish-scale-pattern skis/ with specific compatible bindings are available which will allow plenty of winter x-country fun.

My problem/questions are more specific. First of all I dislike wax-less skis...hate the sound they make when going downhill (Tele's). I have two sets of skis for the Sierra. For tracks, I like my old skinny Epoke 215's...wax, and for the steeps, slightly wider, steel-edged 210's...also wax-able...both set on 3-pin bindings. I guess this would be Old-school. (Klister anyone?) I am currently looking for new boots - like leather, maybe Asolo's or Vasque's... any suggestions?
(I know...whatever fits best, but...)

Secondly, I am looking for wool knickers...All I find are golf knickers. Where do I find wool x-country knickers on line?

Thanks,
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Mark - There are leather boots and fabric/leather boots. The fabric/leather boots are easier to find and less expensive. If you want to go fully old-school, Scarpa and Alico make full leather, norwegian welt boots. Here's the Scarpa:

http://www.altrec.com/scarpa/wasatch-telemark-boots" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the leather/fabric boots, Fischer, Rossignol, and Alpina all make similar boots that are 75mm duckbill boots - like this guy:

http://www.backcountry.com/fischer-bcx-675-boot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The fabric/leather boots are probably warmer/ drier and break in a lot faster. The only real advantage of the full leathers is they can be resoled - but that only kicks in if you get a lot of use out of them.

Knickers - dude, you are old school! How 'bout these:

http://www.bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

paul wrote:Mark - Knickers - dude, you are old school! How 'bout these:

http://www.bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Paul,
Yup, that's the hot ticket, (and with my rugged good looks, will make the outfit pop) -
but @ $145.00...Yowza!

Anybody know of any wool (blend OK) knickers that are not Gold-plated?
Mountainman who swims with trout
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Buy a pair at goodwill and have them custom tailored. I started hiking in wool pants. Cool when its warm, and warm when cool. Never wearing "hiking pants" again.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have Asolo boots. They are great. 3 pin bindings on 215 full metal edged Karhus. I also have some knickers that (almost) still fit (bought them in '91; just need to lose an inch to be comfortable.). Woolrich.. too bad they don't make them anymore. Even Woolrich's customer service pointed me to their golf knicker shop, which shows where the market is.

I do agree with Mark.. The fit and feel of knickers is really great for x-c skiing.