Old stoves from past years.

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Old stoves from past years.

Post by hikerduane »

Finally, a few pics of my stove collection. Excuse the unprofessional shots, the setting is mostly natural. I'll add to it later. Thanks all for offers over the years in trying to help me get this photo thing down.
A couple of MSR's first stove model, the model 9. Notice the scalloped bell. I'm still looking for a white pump.
Alaska stoves etc 293_opt.jpg
MSR model MF, G, GK, some of my blue stoves. Notice the flat generator over the burner on the MF and the lack of generator going over the G, then back again to the generator over the burner on the GK. Also notice the different catch arms on the end of the fuel line.
Alaska stoves etc 155_opt.jpg
Bernie Dawg silent cap equipped X-GK
Alaska stoves etc 177_opt.jpg
Another Bernie Dawg silent cap, a Dragontamer, on a MSR Dragonfly. Runs very quiet and smoothly. If you could get the DragonFly and add one of these caps, you'd have a great stove.
Alaska stoves etc 033_opt.jpg
A rare Optimus 11 Explorer, complete. I got this pretty cheap, so not only was I lucky to have it offered to me, I got to make an offer. Jets for all the fuels, air restrictor when running the alcohol jet, tool, instructions, storage bag. Notice it has the old silent cap that was used on 'brassie" stoves that burned kerosene, the cap transitioned to this, then what is now the Nova. If you pick up an old Nova or similar, get one with the CEJN fittings.
Alaska stoves etc 103_opt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piece of cake.
DriveFly44
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Old stoves from past years.

Post by DriveFly44 »

Duane...fyi, not seeing any pics on my computer. Just links that I'm not able to open.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

DriveFly44 wrote:Duane...fyi, not seeing any pics on my computer. Just links that I'm not able to open.
Same here
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
scrinch
Topix Novice

Post by scrinch »

Pics coming through fine for me.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I can see them now also. :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Optimus embossed 8, one of four 8/8R's I have. Chrome (nickel) tank.
Alaska stoves etc 223_opt.jpg
Suitcase stoves by Optimus. A 22 which uses kerosene and a blue 22B which runs on Coleman type fuel.
Alaska stoves etc 204_opt.jpg
A Tilley heater, R1A, works best in a garage etc., the outdoors affects the kerosenes vaporization, really reflects the heat in the garage. Shown also is two soup cans screwed together, when you prime this, the cans (a poor replacement for the original part) holds the heat around the vaporizer so it heats up enough to vaporize the kerosene. If the fuel is not vaporized, it really acts up. Takes a couple minutes to get it hot enough. If you look close, I had made for me, a clip that is sitting on the tank that holds priming fuel (alcohol) which heats up the vaporizer that the cans fit over during the start up process.
Alaska stoves etc 195_opt.jpg
A Enders 9061 on the left, uses Coleman fuel, has a silent burner, a Optimus military 111 with a roarer burner, uses white gas or kerosene, behind with the reddish label on the tank is a Coleman 530, white gas stove.
Alaska stoves etc 188_opt.jpg
A Primus 41 from the 50's I believe. I took this on a winter snow trip, it was so heavy, I forgot I had drained the kerosene out the week before so when I fired it up, it only ran a minute or so. One of my stoves that I think is very cool, the windscreen folds out and hooks on a nail/rivet type projection to hold it open. Way cool! Love that fat fuel tank too!
Alaska stoves etc 065_opt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piece of cake.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

nice pics of your stoves! which do you actually cook on?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

How old are these stoves? One was mentioned to be form the 50's, I assume they are all from the 50-60's.
-- Lionel Terray
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

This post is so freaking awesome....and for a couple of reasons. First and foremost, finally get to see these vintage stoves you've been talking about for YEARS. Second, and almost as important - halleluiah! only took you the better half of 10 years on HST, which included countless irritating emails and PMs from me trying to walk you through it, to finally figure out how to post your photos..haha!! Yes! :thumbsup:

Nothing stopping you from posting a few proper trip reports for us now. :p
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I still want to know what you cook on..