Keeping It Cold...Dry Ice?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
mikehike
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Keeping It Cold...Dry Ice?

Post by mikehike »

Has anyone ever attempted to bring Dry Ice in order to keep certain foods or drink cold for an extended period?
I went on a kayak lake trip one time for 3 days and one guy broght dry ice, it stayed cold the entire time.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Only for stuff that doesn't mind being frozen; then it works great. The problem is regulating temperature. Dry ice is normally about -78 C (-109 F), which is damn cold! I've used it on fairly long (2-day) biological field trips to freeze specimens I was taking out, and there were no serious problems.
mikehike
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mikehike »

Yes I read that also, we are heading into Ansel Adams and we are having a Horse bring in an extra 150lbs, to aleviate some of the weight for grandpa who is 74 years old and I thought about bringing a cooler with some real meat products. I know this doesn't sound much like real backpacking, for which I have about 25 trips under my belt. But I thought what the heck.

I was thinking of bringing 2 small coolers one with dry-ice packed with ice and the other filled with ice and the food. The cooler with the dryice I would use to keep making ice for the other cooler. Only going for 3 nights..