Entry Level GPS

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
adam921
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Entry Level GPS

Post by adam921 »

Hi there,
I'm looking to buy a GPS in the near future. I don't need anything fancy, just something that will give me detailed maps. I don't need a touchscreen, compass, anything like that. I get the feeling that some here aren't too into GPS, but i'm looking for suggestions from people who like/don't like their current GPS, functions they find useful, etc.
Thanks!
cahiker
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Entry Level GPS

Post by cahiker »

I bought a Garmin eTrex 30 on sale at the beginning of the summer and have been very happy with it. It has a fairly small screen, but is lighter weight and smaller than other units. I always carry paper maps so I mostly use the gps for a quick check of where I am, or for the ability to look at my track after the hike.

The eTrex 30 locks onto satellites quickly, keeps them even in heavy tree cover and the batteries last several days. The menus are a little unintuitive, but I can quickly find everything I need except the battery meter (it's there somewhere)... You might want to look at the eTrex 20. It's similar, but without compass.

You can download maps for free from gpsfiledepot.com. I found the instructions there good and have used the maps for a good portion of the Sierra (Desolation, Yosemite, SEKI).