Places to buy stove fuel in Mammoth Lakes?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
mbear
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Places to buy stove fuel in Mammoth Lakes?

Post by mbear »

Where in Mammoth Lakes is a good place to buy 8oz cans of fuel for my stove (it's a Snow Peak GigaPower). I know they claim you shouldn't use MSR cans, but they work fine for me so I don't care if the cans are Snow Peak or MSR. Is there anywhere besides Red's to get a couple? It would have to be within reasonable distance of Main Street and the town shuttle. Thanks.
caddis
Founding Member

Re: Places to buy stove fuel in Mammoth Lakes?

Post by caddis »

Kittredge sports has a decent selection of backpacking supplies

http://www.kittredgesports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbear »

Thanks. That looks pretty convenient. Are their prices decent, or can I expect sizeable markups there and perhaps elsewhere in Mammoth Lakes?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Call them to get prices ahead of time: http://www.yellowpages.com/mammoth-lake ... g-supplies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bluefintu
Topix Regular

Post by bluefintu »

Hi mbear,

Also Mammoth Mountaineering Supply across the street from Kittredge. I try to stop by both places when I'm in town and spend a few bucks. Great people in Mammoth to talk to about a trip.
caddis
Founding Member

Post by caddis »

mbear wrote:Thanks. That looks pretty convenient. Are their prices decent, or can I expect sizeable markups there and perhaps elsewhere in Mammoth Lakes?
I haven't noticed much of a difference in prices.
mbear
Topix Acquainted

Post by mbear »

Thank you to everyone who replied. My markups question was just for prices in general though; e.g., if I need to buy a new water pump or my pad gets damaged beyond repair when I arrive in the area off the PCT. Hopefully the fuel and maybe a beer are the only things I might need to buy in town though. :partyman:
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Mammoth Mountaineering is a good store and it's pretty amazing how much stuff is actually in there. They have a full compliment of backpacking stuff. Typically, their prices are the same as what is on the internet and a lot of times they will be running a sale. I've bought quite a bit of gear there over the years and it's never a bad thing to support your local gear store.
ndwoods
Founding Member

Post by ndwoods »

I love Kittredge. They have high end equipment so expect prices to reflect that, but they aren't overpriced for the quality they carry. I once embarked on the JMT with no tent....duh....accidentally....and went to Kittredge sports and then didn't have my credit card! Who would need one in the backcountry right? Kittredge talked to my daughter who gave them her card number and I got a great tent and was on my way! :)
http://ndeewoods.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I picked up a fuel canister for by my Peak Litemax stove at Reds Meadow store when I resupplied there this month (during JMT hike). The nice guy running the store actually dug through the excess resupply tub they have to see if there was a free one so I wouldn't have to pay. There wasn't one in the free tub, but the price and selection wasn't too bad. I ended up with a JetBoil brand canister that worked just fine.