Osprey Atmos?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
fish4gold
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Osprey Atmos?

Post by fish4gold »

I did a search to see if anybody else has asked this question, but no dice. So....
I have an Osprey Atmos 65 that was new on my last trip. I LOVE it, except, after 5 miles I end up with WAY too much weight on my shoulders, and it doesn't matter how tight I make the waist belt. The size is a medium, so I wonder if I got a large would it give me a longer torso length, thus taking the weight off my shoulders. I waltzed down to a store that said they had it in stock to find out that the had sold it the day before :( So now I can't try it on. I read the specs. on it and that is vague also, giving a "size" range.
Does anybody know if the large has a longer torso than the medium?
Thanks for any help!!!!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Osprey Atmos?

Post by ERIC »

I have a size Large in that pack (also very happy with it BTW). Yes, the torso length is longer than a medium. I have no problems adjusting weight to my hips. I'm 5' 11".

A size chart can be seen here (scroll down to Atmos & Aura):

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/sizing_and_fitting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

fish4gold wrote: I end up with WAY too much weight on my shoulders, and it doesn't matter how tight I make the waist belt.
In my experience from making my own packs, the #1 comfort factor is the distance between the shoulder pads & hip belt. If you take a look at the Osprey link above, they explain the various torso measurements in great detail. It really has nothing to do with general height - it's really your specific personal dimensions.

I love(d) my old Osprey pack, and the reason I keep it around is because it fits so great that I use it as a baseline (measurement) model for all my own gear.

Here are my general observations:
- too long and the pack will drag on your butt
- too short and the pack will ride on your shoulders

It's actually quite logical. Assume you don't have a hip belt - then all the weight is on your shoulders. Go ahead and add a belt, but place it too high (ie the distance between shoulder & hip is too short). Ergo, all the weight is still on your shoulders.

Reverse the process - assume you only have a hip belt (have someone balance the pack against your back), so all the weight is on your butt. Place the shoulder straps too high (ie distance is too great) so that they can't bring the pack up, and all the weight is still on your butt.
fish4gold
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by fish4gold »

Eric & Hobbes,
Thank you SO much!!!!!! It was exactly the type of information I was hoping for! Another reason why this site is my most favorite! :thumbsup: