Lightweight tent for 4 people

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
shoenberg3
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Lightweight tent for 4 people

Post by shoenberg3 »

I am looking for a lightweight tent for 4 (perhaps an oxymoron?) to take on backpacking trips.
I would like it to be around 350 dollars or less.
It merely needs to be 3-season tent, since I don't plan on camping in the winters.

Any recommendations would be appreciated!
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Lightweight tent for 4 people

Post by sparky »

5lbs 9 oz for that price its a good deal
Chris B
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Chris B »

shoenberg3,

I saw a few backpacking families in Yosemite last year using the REI Half Dome 4 tents. They weigh about 8lbs but that's still only 2lb per person so not bad. These looked to have a decent amount of internal space and enough room in the vestibules to keep 4 backpack dry. The two doors should be useful too.

As long as you are an REI member you can always return it if you don't like it.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

Big Agnes Coppery Spur UL4 - on sale frequently, even on Steep and Cheap. I have the UL3 and it is the best 3 season tent I ever owned. Fast to set up, light, good ventilation, enough room for the indicated number of sleepers if they are skinny :D

The list price is insane, though. I've seen it as low as $329, but you need to be patient. Doubt you'll find it now in peak season for less than $500

you won't find much lighter unless you go to a tarp setup.

One thing I don't like about large tents - you are limited by its footprint size where you can set up camp. Two 2 person tents would be my preference.