Semi-light Backpack?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I have the GoLite Trek, but for me its uncomfortable with more than 25 lbs. My pack weight is normally 28-30 lbs solo. I don't have hips, and the hipbelt doesn't have padding so its not comfortable for me. If you want it, make an offer!

I'm happy with my Kelty Flight, only 3 lbs (discontinued). I can carry 40 lbs and its still comfortable. If you see it on sale anywhere, please let me know!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by krudler »

I really like the Gregory Z-Pack I got last year. It's not quite as light as a Granite Grear or GoLite, but for the nominal extra weight I think it really does have a nicer suspension system/hipbelt/etc. I have carried some decent enough loads in it for 3-4 day trips without having to go too minimalist.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Ratboy
Topix Regular

Post by Ratboy »

Most folks think I am goofy for stating this but I use a Kelty Shadow, it can hold 4500 ci and does fine with gear to the hilt. Still comfortable. Why so large, I carry the bulky stuff and canister for me and the wife; among other nice-ities...Nonetheless, empty it weights 3.5 lbs....after I got it adjusted following two mulit-day trips, it is totally comfortable. At that weight, it is almost a sub for my day pack....almost. Usually on day trips I use my thigh-packs....seen here.

Kelty Shadow, seen here....(photo not that great, but the pack was loaded, and comfortable, for this trip up San Gorgonio in October....)

Dave - Getting it done, one day at at time.
http://www.dnkrhodes.com
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Snow Nymph wrote:I have the GoLite Trek, but for me its uncomfortable with more than 25 lbs. My pack weight is normally 28-30 lbs solo. I don't have hips, and the hipbelt doesn't have padding so its not comfortable for me. If you want it, make an offer!

I'm happy with my Kelty Flight, only 3 lbs (discontinued). I can carry 40 lbs and its still comfortable. If you see it on sale anywhere, please let me know!
Yeah, I don't have much in the way of hips either. I guess it's a blessing in some ways. Sounds like I need to keep my Kelty, or try a lighter weight Kelty.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Yeah, I don't have much in the way of hips either.
Wanna trade? I've got way more hips than I'd like! Obviously, I need to do the JMT again -- I was 20 pounds lighter than ever before (well... mostly ever) when I came down from Whitney the last time.

Everything I've seen so far, both here and elsewhere, seems to be pointing me more and more at the Nimbus Ozone. There are several reviews at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... s%20Ozone/, all generally positive. They say it's comfortable and can carry quite heavy loads, with the down sides being lack of external pockets, a little less resistance to abrasion than heavier-weight packs, and difficulty of replacing water bottles into the mesh pockets (I can't do that with my REI Great Star either).

I can't wait to try one on!
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

BSquared wrote:Wanna trade? I've got way more hips than I'd like!
LOL !!
Hey, let us know how the Nimbus Ozone works out.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

The Nimbus Ozone arrived yesterday, and I threw a bunch of stuff in it (about 20 lbs -- 9 kg for you rational types) and hiked about three miles with it today. Wow, what a comfortable pack. Wow, how much smaller than my REI GreatStar ;) Obviously, I'm going to have to learn to get a lot more compact!

Film at 11:00.

-BSquared
airrj
Topix Novice

Post by airrj »

I started using a GoLite Gust last year and I'm very pleased with it. Last September, RJ and I took a 6 day trip from Tuolumne through Pate Valley, White Wolf, top of Yosemite Falls, and out at Porcupine Flats, with a day trip to the top of El Cap. My pack held the bear can, tent, and lots more - probably starting at about 35 pounds. Very comfortable. Lots of volume. Quality construction.

The biggest drawback for me is that the Gust lacks a pocket for a one-liter water bottle. RJ's pack carries two water bottles, so that's not a significant problem when we're hiking together. When I'm alone, I tie an 8 ounce bottle to one of my shoulder straps, so I only need to dig out my big water bottle every 30 to 90 minutes, depending on conditions.

I have a couple of other packs, but the combination of high volume, good functionality, very good comfort, $60 price tag, and 20 ounce weight make it my top choice for anything more than a day trip.
EricJLee
Founding Member

Ultralite packs

Post by EricJLee »

I've owned a GG Ozone for just over a year now and love it. It is simple, but very comfortable and supportive. I also like that the shoulder straps can be adjusted up/down to get a better fit. It's now my primary overnight bag, since I usually carry 25lbs. Bsquared, I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
I'm not a big fan of the Golite packs, especially the framless packs such as the Gust. No support, no padding, and I don't see how they can be comfortable with more than 20lbs in them. Weight transfer requires support to hold the pack up right. I just dunno about them. Airrj, you could easily sew some H2O bottle pockets onto the Gust.
Eric