Semi-light Backpack?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Semi-light Backpack?

Post by BSquared »

I've got a well-used REI Great Star (huge pack -- very nice), but it seems awfully heavy. Suppose I wanted a lightER pack, but not a truly ultra-light backpack, for long-weekend to week (plus) trips: what would people recommend?

-BSquared
Mooses
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Semi-light Backpack?

Post by Mooses »

BSquared wrote:I've got a well-used REI Great Star (huge pack -- very nice), but it seems awfully heavy. Suppose I wanted a lightER pack, but not a truly ultra-light backpack, for long-weekend to week (plus) trips: what would people recommend?

-BSquared
http://www.granitegear.com/products/bac ... index.html

Nimbus Ozone.....about 4000 cubes.....3lbs....holds up to 40 lbs. I have the Virga and the Vapor Trail and can vouch for the quality.
"Sorry folks, park's closed, moose out front should have told ya."
wingding

Post by wingding »

I bought an Osprey Ariel 60 this past spring. It's 3 pounds and I like it a lot - very comfortable even with close to 40 lbs of gear in it and clipped to it. The mens version is the Aether.

I was using a Granite Gear Vapor Trail (2 pounds), but when we decided to do Mount Williamson over 4th of July I had to carry a lot of extra winter gear and the Vapor Trail just wasn't going to cut it. The Ariel did great.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

The Ariel is apparently a "women's" pack; what's different about that? Do you think the Aether 60 is comparable?
wingding

Post by wingding »

They are pretty much the same pack - just modified a little to fit either a man or a woman better depending on the model.

This is what the Osprey site says about the Ariel 60:

"Here’s the women’s version of our award winning Aether 60. It features the women’s IsoForm harness, shorter torso sizing and a built in hipbelt specifically designed to fit the female hip structure. Features include sleeping pad straps, large side mesh pockets, a Delrin® reinforced head cup, and an extendible lid and skirt to accommodate overloads."

and here's what they say about the Aether 60:

"This is the pack that spawned our innovative Ethereal suspension. The Aether 60 offers you nearly 4000 cubic inches of capacity in a 3.5-pound package. Its unique design features a sewn-in hipbelt, the adjustable IsoForm harness, internal peripheral composite struts, built-in mesh side and front pockets, and Excessory capability."
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

BSquared wrote:The Ariel is apparently a "women's" pack; what's different about that? Do you think the Aether 60 is comparable?
I have the Osprey Aether 90 - the larger version of the Aether 60 - and it is an outstanding pack. Can assume the Aether 60 is built with similar specs. Have met people on the trial with the Granite Gear packs that Mooses mentioned, and they couldn't think of anything bad to say about them.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I certainly don't have anything bad to say about my Granite Gear Vapor Trail. I can load it up to 6 days worth of stuff in the summer and it works great. It's just not made to carry much over 30 pounds or carry the extra gear you need for snow travel.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Thanks much to all! I'm definitely beginning to home in on the Granite Gear Nimbus ozone.
BSquared
Founding Member

Post by BSquared »

Well, the picture has been somewhat complicated by the appearance of a new Golite pack with nearly the same specs as the Ozone. It's called a "Perspective," weighs in at 3 lb 4 oz, and is listed at 3950 cubes. Both packs are about $200. Anyone have experience with this pack? General comments about Golite packs? I supposedly met the founder of Golite on my JMT hike two years ago, but he didn't introduce himself as such, and I just heard the rumor from someone farther down the trail... I sure love my windbreaker from Golite!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I have a Golite Gust, made to carry 30 lbs., I carry 35-37 in it on my skinny bod. Their synthetic fill jacket is comparable to Patagonia in quality if you ask me.
Piece of cake.