Spot GPS

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Spot GPS

Post by cloudlesssky »

I started using one of the Spot 2 devices this year primarily for my wife's peace of mind (her peace of mind has positive outcomes for my ability to go hiking). Having the SOS function available is a nice plus, but I mostly stick to the trails so I have a hard time thinking of scenarios where I'd use it (although after having almost stepped on a rattlesnake last weekend, that scenario crossed my mind).

I typically use the tracking function while hiking and then the checkin function at the end of each day (then turn it off while in camp). It does miss some tracking updates, but I've fine tuned where I place it on my pack and this has gotten better. I read somewhere that under some conditions the SOS signal may be transmitted without a GPS coordinate, in which case the use of the tracking function would allow rescuers to extrapolate your position. I don't know if this is true, but it certainly encouraged me to use the tracking function.

I did find my Spot 2 much cheaper new on eBay - I bought the grey colored model which is all but cosmetically the same as the orange one (for some reason people are willing to pay more for orange).