Trail shoes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
baddog
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Trail shoes

Post by baddog »

Skip the trail runners, you can thank me later. Unless you meet my 20/20 rule, trail runners are not for you. It's very simple, two of the following must apply to you: You're in your 20's, you're carrying 20 lbs or less (water excluded), you can do 20 miles a day or average 20 minute miles per hour(pack and water included) in any terrain.

I just switched to Lowa Ronan GTX mid-hikers and it's hard to imagine I will go back. Stability, traction, protection and durability are way beyond anything a plactic trail runner can provide. Not a Goretex fan, but after hiking up the Mist trail and sloshing around in the Merced, it was pretty cool to have dry socks and boots. :) When it comes to what brand, it's what fits you. Lowa fits me perfect, everytime, out of box. The quality is excellent and they have a buzzillion boots to choose from. They classify my boots under the day, short-haul or weekend category. These things are beefy and would standup for months on the trail. You should check out the beasts they reccomend for "backpacking".

Poles are a must and knee savers on the downhill climbs. Mine are old school Leki Makalus. Bulletproof and heavy at 22ozs, but I can swing them all day any my arms are never fatigued. There is a big split between anti-shock and no anti-shock and I am in the no anti-shock camp. I absolutely hate anti-shock. :angry: The springy, vague and uncertain pole plants drive me nuts. :mad: I recently purchased some BD Ultralight Carbon Z-Poles which weigh a scant 9+ ozs, but they felt fragile and would never take the beating my Makalus can; I took them back without a try.