Favorite Topo Map Software?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Favorite Topo Map Software?

Post by BSquared »

gdurkee wrote:And there's the question: what free or cheap mapping software is out there for the Mac (not that I'd ever use one. But I know people...).
As I noted earlier, I'm a long-time "MacGPS Pro" user http://www.macgpspro.com. It's now up to sixty bucks, which ain't exactly "cheap," but it's not outrageous, either.

I really like paper maps, too, and also remember fondly when I could ramble into the Menlo Park store, and later the Wyoming State Geological Survey store on the U Wyo campus. Sigh... I bought a bunch of paper maps for our upcoming Swiss Alps trip, and the Swiss topo maps are gorgeous—truly works of art!
—B²
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

After I moved, I ordered my maps from USGS..

Does this bring back any memories?
Maps 002.JPG
Ignore the crab.. That's Bubba's favorite toy of the month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SierraMaclure
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by SierraMaclure »

My husband got me Terrain Navigator Pro for Christmas a few years ago. He's HEAVILY into Contra Costa County Search and Rescue and has helped bring the whole state's SAR mapping into the 21st century. When he joined 5 years ago they were using xeroxes of xeroxes of the Thomas guide. I was appalled. I love TNP and print out customized maps for all my clients on my trips. I teach map and compass and they all get a map to learn with on the trip and take home as a souvenir. I love to see them taking notes on their maps. Last year I learned to load a route on my gps so I wouldn't get lost with clients on the Pohono Trail covered with snow. Similarly, I loaded a route out to Dewey Pt. cuz I knew we'd be going out there in a blizzard and probably no broken trail. I also find it helpful in planning my once a year big trip, usually of-trail, with friends. With that and Google Earth, I'm pretty set, except, of course, for the 10 foot verticals where we need to shimmy up or down, like over Potluck Pass. But that's what keeps it interesting. :thumbsup:
"Between every two pine trees lies a door to a new life," John Muir.