Gear List

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Gear List

Post by Wandering Daisy »

After much looking around I decided to solve my camera battery problems by buying two extra. They are not that expensive and weigh 1.5 ounces total for both. It would have cost a lot more to buy a solar charger and the charger would weigh more. I do not take a lot of electronic gagets and I can easily have new batteries for my headlamp brought in with the food when I get resupplied by packers. The Cannon battery cost $61 retail, but an equal generic is available for about $20 at a local battery store. There are batteries as cheap as $7 on the internet, but I am not comfortable with knock-offs. I read that a well known generic brand name is better than an unrealistically cheap "Cannon", which probably is a fake.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

yet again.. i've been carrying spare cam batteries for years. you charge them before you leave, know what your cam does with them at altitude/cold/whatever.. It's the best way.. solar chargers don't fit the model currently..
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'd rather get the real Canon battery then the cheaper ones. They probably wont perform as well.

I got the Brunton Solaris 4 for 130 dollars. The actual Brunton website lists everything much higher then you can find it for.

You also have the option of carrying a spare battery pack like this New Trent iFuel. It all depends on how much your camera battery holds and one of these things may charge it a few times before it is dead.
vandman
Topix Regular

Post by vandman »

Back in the days when I shot real film, I carried a big bag of film, maybe 4 pounds. Today I carry a small bag of extra camera batteries, maybe a pound.
http://wildernessjournals.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://vanmiller.tumblr.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Okay, it's raining on the South Coast so I finally ironed out my little issues with GG. Here is my 2012 Sierra list, less food, spirits, and good reading material.
Trying desperately to keep it under 20 pounds for 7 days. The big changes from last year... a lighter pack, stove system and sleeping bag. I have sacrificed the WM Versilite for a factory re-stuff of my WM coastal bag and added the The Patagonia hooded down jacket to supplement the down deficit.
I added in my stove fuel as a consumable. The big question now is can I load 7 days of food into a Scout?
Gotta have coffee, spirits, hot broth and a good selection of Goldens for sanity.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=7010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by whrdafamI? »

Interesting how a lot of us are trying to go lighter and the ways we are trying to achieve this. This year I am switching from my load monster Arcteryx Bora 95 to a Osprey Atmos 65. Cut over 3 lbs. right there. I noticed last year that my pack had lots of empty space so why carry a heavier bigger pack? Also went to a Marmot Helium sleeping bag. Wanted a WM Apache but there was only so much CENTS of humor from my wife. I could get the Helium on sale but not the WM. :( Oh well. The next item was a lighter tent so I went with a Big Agnes Fly Creek2. I figure that I should be able to come in under 30 lbs. for a 7 day gig. Sounds so much more pleasant.
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I am a little late joining this post but I've enjoyed reading everyones gear lists and comments. I 'm inspired by the multi-month long trips you have taken Rogue (cool!!) and I wish I could do the same, but for this summer I can only do three 9 day trips (each separated by a month). This list is for a 9 day SHR section next September.

The only thing I'm still thinking about changing is using DriDucks for rain gear. This would add about a 1/2 lb vs the cuben parcho/pack cover/ground sheet and chaps/pants.

Although I would bring a charger if on a month long trip, I usually just bring two extra batteries to save weight on these shorter trips.

Some of my stuff is homemade. If anyone's interested there are links next to some of the MYOG gear w/ pictures and info.

I used most of this gear on the JMT last summer and was comfortable down to 31 degrees. I like to just sleep under the stars and although there was frost on the outside of my bivy one night, I was still warm and toasty. The tarp was good during the four nights of rain last summer, although I might change to a shaped tarp with 360 degree protection (Zpacks Hexamid Solo Tent). Using a Hexamid Solo Tent would add about a 1/2 oz versus the bivy/tarp combo.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=7617" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I was going to use a bivy last year but then I came out of my insanity. :retard:

I think the Hexamid Solo Plus I got this year will suit all my needs. Lighter and just as big as my Rainbow.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Those solo plus Hexamids look nice. Have you been out in the rain with it? I'm wondering if the extended beak makes a big difference.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I actually haven't even set the thing up yet. Back in 2010 I used the standard Hexamid for my 71 day hike and it worked out nicely. I did not even use a ground sheet with it but the only rain I had on that trip while I was in the tent it sprinkled a bit for about 30 minutes so not much of a test.

My requirements this year after the sort of rain I experienced last year is to have that bathtub ground sheet in case water runs under the thing or I have to set up on wet ground. I also need enough room to get all my gear inside the tent in heavy storms and I think the solo plus will do these things nicely. I did get the extended beak also.

The total setup comes in at 18.91 ounces.

Not being able to do free standing is a set back as I used that several times last year.

We'll see how long the zippers last on it. I seem to average about 2 and a half months on the trail before they fail me completely.