Your Oldest Piece Of Gear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Your Oldest Piece Of Gear?

Post by giantbrookie »

I have an old sleeping bag (don't even know the brand in fact) that I recall my dad bought for me as a birthday present circa mid to late 70's. I used on backpacking trips into the 90's until its bulkiness caused its "retirement" to my car camping stash. I still use in on my colder car camping trips. I have an old REI external frame pack from the mid to late 80's (?) that I didn't use for a number of years but I brought it out of retirement for backpacking with my kids because I can carry an enormous amount of stuff with it (probably between 80 and 90lbs on the first backpack trip with the kids). It's so old that the shoulder pads are now almost rock hard. One of my backpacking tents that I now use as my standard car camping tent on geology trips is an REI Trail Dome circa 1995 or 1996. My main backpacking sleeping bag dates from the early to mid 90's. An old backpack cooking pot I have may date back to the 70's but I'm not sure (I know I've used it at least as far back as the early 80's).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

i'm starting to feel that our collective oldest gear is actually us..
Scouter9
Topix Regular

Post by Scouter9 »

This is a fun thread to read.

My oldest gear that's still in regular use are my Kelty Tioga XL from 1980-81, an ultralight Silva compass and an Opinel folding knife, all of the same vintage. The Kelty bears brand-new shoulder straps this year (thanks to Kelty for the free replacement!), but is otherwise as I've always used it, as are the Silva and the Opinel. When I got them, they were the ultimates: "dream items" on my list to replace older gear that was heavier or less comfortable (ie pre waistbelt Kelty torture device) and each still works great.

Other old gear has been phased out as weight and utility of new gear obsoletes them or they wear out, but I take great satisfaction from using my three old friends on every trip.
walkingman
Topix Newbie

Post by walkingman »

Oh boy the fun and remembrances in reading through the threads! Some pieces I still use, occasionally...

North Face down jacket, circa 1975, polar model. This down jacket has more patches and duct-tape then the original rip stop fabric! Still in-service for winter forays and cold weather expeditions. North Face has replaced the zipper twice and re-downed the jacket once.

Kelty Ruck Sac, circa 1974. The original 'go lite' pack, with ski slots, leather bottom, metal expansion zipper, metal pocket zippers, and a clip waist belt. Retired now yet, still functional.

Svea 123 stove. Missing the tune key. This stove has served me well throughout the 70's-80's. Can't toss it out...you never know!

bill
--<xx<
Topix Newbie

Post by --<xx< »

I still use my '71 North Face sierra Parka and my '71 NF superlight sleeping bag returned for free replacement in 1987 and ready to be returned again. I have a Chouinard sewing kit I bought in 1970 that goes on every trip and has only been used once in 40+ years of backpacking. My NF Oval Intention still gets used for car camping as does my Optimus 8R stove.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome Walkingman, --<xx<, and Heyworth to HST!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org