Fuel Price Survey Results

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Fuel Price Survey Results

Post by hikin_jim »

I have conducted my own survey of stove fuel prices. I thought people might find the results interesting.

I don't list a lot of stores for alcohol and kerosene for the simple reason that every Tom, Dick, and Harry hardware, paint, and building supply store carries them. To try to list every possible source would require an army of data gatherers that I simply don't have. I have listed some popular low cost sources such as that renowned outdoor supplier, Home Depot. :wink:

Fuel Price Survey Results (as of Dec 2011)

Please let me know if this is useful.

Thanks,

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Fuel Price Survey Results

Post by rlown »

i remember when white gas was cheap. guess it's time to try the unleaded gas in my Coleman (it's a dual fuel model).. i haven't benchmarked the two for the burn.. Might be a good time to do so.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

So russ, How does buying the most expensive gas you can for your stove compare to the costs of just getting to the TH in your truck? I think there are much more efficient ways of reducing costs of backpacking than worrying about the cost of stove fuel. The good news for me is that for all I spend on backpacking it is way cheaper than putting money into cars and motorcycles and boats like some of my friends do. When Kathy talks to their wives it always puts me in a pretty good light. And remember the first rule of marriage is a happy wife means a happy family!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I get 20 mpg in the ol' diesel dodge, and seats 6 comfortably, but it's usually just 4 of us.. and it's paid for, has a turbo for the passes, and 15 years old. If my stove burns unleaded, why not give it a go?

If your Prius get's high-centered on an access road, I promise to gently attach my tow sling to your mirror and tow you out. :p
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

Russ the prius doesn't go off the pavement. Use the 4 Runner for that. My point is the cost of fuel is a miniscule part of the cost of backpacking. I'm sure I could get by with a lesser vehicle than the 4 runner and cheaper equipment than Western Mountaineering but why?

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If unleaded burns at the same efficiency in my stove as does white gas, that'll save me enough hypothetical dollars to buy you another beer when we leave the trail-head. :drinkers:

Vehicles are another matter and that's a different thread..
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago several of us did a week climbing trip with RJ Secor. He used unleaded gas in his stove. I thought it really smelled bad. He had a floorless tepee tent and as he cooked water for tea during a rainstorm, I had to leave the tent immediately due to the smell. I personally would rather pay the extra and use white gas. I have used propane cannister for the last several years. I guess I am just lazy as the cannisters are so easy, although expensive. I always ask for gas cannisters for Christmas presents!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

yeah.. they smell different, but this isn't about smell..

I love the apparent challenge of lighting up the coleman, regardless of her charge.. unleaded just gives me a different challenge. Also, I'm probably not testing it in a tent!

I'm not knocking the ease of spinning on a canister. to each their own.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

rlown wrote:i remember when white gas was cheap. guess it's time to try the unleaded gas in my Coleman (it's a dual fuel model).. i haven't benchmarked the two for the burn.. Might be a good time to do so.
Russ,

Be careful. Just be cause a stove says it can burn unleaded, it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. The use of unleaded gasoline typically shortens the useful life of a stove.

Coleman fuel is still pretty cheap at Walmart and such considering how much someone would typically burn.

Burning unleaded is penny wise and pound foolish. Yeah, you save a few bucks on fuel but you trash your stove.

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Years ago several of us did a week climbing trip with RJ Secor.
Daisy, have you stayed in touch with RJ? How's he doing now? I know he had a bad accident about 5 years ago.

HJ