Fuel Price Survey Results

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Fuel Price Survey Results

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am aware of RJ's accident. Friends who have seen him since say he has recovered but not completely. It is very sad to have something like that happen at the peak of your climbing career. Russ- smell does matter to me. I am very sensitive to smells and get quite sick from them. I am the kind of person who gets sick if I wear perfume. If unleaded gas cost $1 a gallon I still could not consider it.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

hikin_jim wrote:
rlown wrote:i remember when white gas was cheap. guess it's time to try the unleaded gas in my Coleman (it's a dual fuel model).. i haven't benchmarked the two for the burn.. Might be a good time to do so.
Russ,

Be careful. Just be cause a stove says it can burn unleaded, it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. The use of unleaded gasoline typically shortens the useful life of a stove.

Coleman fuel is still pretty cheap at Walmart and such considering how much someone would typically burn.

Burning unleaded is penny wise and pound foolish. Yeah, you save a few bucks on fuel but you trash your stove.

HJ
how does unleaded trash the stove? seals? generator erosion? burner? I'm not seeing the difference between unleaded and white gas yet..
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by hikin_jim »

rlown wrote:how does unleaded trash the stove? seals? generator erosion? burner? I'm not seeing the difference between unleaded and white gas yet..
Russ,

All those additives that are in the unleaded fuel don't vaporize and burn off cleanly. They start building up on the inside of the generator. Typically, they are difficult to remove. The usual practice is to replace the generator.

Hmm. I guess I shouldn't say "reduce the life of the stove." I should probably say "reduce the life of the generator."

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving