Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
jimqpublic
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Post by jimqpublic »

Stoves...
I've used a few. Some were pathetically weak in cool or breezy weather (Bluet I'm talking to you) Some were powerful but finicky and potentially dangerous (MSR XGK)

For quick, easy, elegant I love my Jetboil. The canister stays attached to the stove which fits snugly in the pot. It doesn't need a windscreen unless the wind is very strong. It takes less than 30 seconds to pull from my pack, assemble, fill with water, and light. Two cups of water comes to a boil in under 3 minutes in warm weather and no more than double that with ice cold water and freezing temperatures. A single small 110 gram fuel can got me a week of solo use boiling 5 cups of water and steam baking a muffin every day.

On the other hand I don't have personal experience with alcohol stoves. Maybe a new hobby.

I will state one thing without reservation. Every stove used outdoors needs a windscreen. Either integrated or separate.
Jim
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Is Ethanol Worth It? (for alcohol stoves)

Post by fishmonger »

Jim and his Jetboil

Jim and my Jetboil :D