A vicious trend has returned:Fluorescent Clothing

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: A vicious trend has returned:Fluorescent Clothing

Post by oldranger »

I like muted colors for my tent so my solo camps can be as inconspicuous as possible. When hiking solo I wear the most god awful combination of red checked shirt and faded orange shorts. Anyone who crosses my path will remember in case I turn up missing. When in more populated areas and with others I become a little more muted. The only other "off color" thing I bring (other than my sense of humor) is my blue poncho. But I also take a "spot locator." If I can't make that work I am probably beyond rescue anyway.

When day hiking in Central Oregon during hunting season I wear a florescent orange shirt. Have drawn some interesting comments until I point out it is hunting season. Every year in Oregon someone gets killed by a hunter, usually another hunter. When within a mile of trailheads I am pretty nervous but further away I figure that most hunters who go to that effort will be a little more skilled and conscientious about their shooting.

mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

There was a time....

I can remember an incident back in the mid 80's(?), at a convention of outdoor gear manufacturers a representative from the Forest Service gave a presentation on this same topic -- muting the color choices to help reduce the visual impact as backcountry use increases.

He basically got booed from the podium.

I carry a single item of bright day-glo as a just in case. Otherwise I go for earth tones and dark clothing.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote: Every year in Oregon someone gets killed by a hunter, usually another hunter. When within a mile of trailheads I am pretty nervous but further away I figure that most hunters who go to that effort will be a little more skilled and conscientious about their shooting.

mike
It's in every state.. If you're hiking, even in a wilderness area, put on the orange! Know the hunting season for the area you hike (usually opens mid sept'ish).

Mike, you should be nervous even 5 miles out.. As I hunt, and a day in's hike is actually a blessing, please wear something bright. No antlers please.. :p
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

I do wear my bright stuff Russ!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

oldranger wrote:I do wear my bright stuff Russ!

Mike
It wasn't for you!! I've seen you in "bright" stuff.. It's painful. :\
Shiker
Topix Novice

Post by Shiker »

If you are going solo, or if you have children that are at possible risk of straying and getting lost-- bright clothing provides a major safety advantage precisely because it so visible. I learned this firsthand in SAR - someone wearing bright orange is maybe 100x more visible than from the air than someone wearing drab colors.