Any opinions on the Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude Ki pack?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Any opinions on the Granite Gear Nimbus Latitude Ki pack?

Post by Kerstin »

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this backpack. I'm going to be purchasing a new backpack this summer. This one looks pretty good.

Currently I'm using a Wild Things Rock Sac, which is 2500 cubic inches. I can do fine on multi-day summer trips with this pack as long as my husband carries our Garcia bear canister. For solo trips the Rock Sac is out of the question. In any case I'm looking for a backpack that is a little bigger than the Rock Sac and is fairly lightweight.

The Latitude Ki is 3 lbs 14 ounces and is 3900 cubic inches.

Any opinions on this backpack, or recommendations of something similar?

Thanks!
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by krudler »

Can't say I've tried that exact pack, but when I was looking for a lighter weight pack last year similar to the needs you are outlining I did try several including some of the Granite Gear line and eventually settled on the Gregory Z-Pack (price was right at the time, too). It has proven to be a good investment - very comfortable, sturdy, good for trips up to 5 days, and pretty lightweight. Not quite as light as the Granite Gear stuff but for the relatively minimal difference it was much more comfortable with a heavier 3-5 day load.
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

I tested this pack for BackpackGearTest last year. (Reports from all testers are here).

First of all, let me say that of the many, many packs I have used, this is by leaps and bounds my favorite. It fits my body perfectly, fits my packing style to a T, and is *just* the right amount of space for a self-sufficient (no shared gear) 2-4 day trip in the Sierra with the gear I typically use (lightweight, not ultralight).

That said, this pack is a bit weird compared to a 'traditional' internal frame. I don't believe the claim of 3900 cu in, since it seems smaller than some other packs I have of that size and bigger. It could just be because I have the Small - the downside of having a 16 inch torso is that I get cheated on cubic inches! :) There is no expansion collar, so once you use up the space there isn't anywhere to cheat. Because it has a zippered access panel from top to bottom, there isn't any wiggle room. The outer pockets and straps are nice, but aren't conducive to strapping on much gear externally. This was pushing it, but I really wanted to carry it on one winter trip during the testing period. I've had to use a bigger (and therefore heavier pack) at times because I just couldn't squeeze in that last piece of gear that I might have been able to sqeeze into a traditionally designed (top loading) internal frame pack of the same volume. Also, there is no top lid, but there is an internal pocket that clips in that is about the same volume as a lid. I actually like this pocket and use it as a stuff sack for all my little gear thingees (headlamp, knife, etc).

BUT, even with its differences, I *really* like the panel access system - you can get to any piece of gear you have stashed in the pack since it allows top and bottom access. It's great! I have a 'system' for packing it for a weekend trip - I know exactly where everything goes and can pack that thing up in about 20 seconds.

Hope this helps!

Rebecca
Kerstin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Kerstin »

Thank you, Rebecca and krudler!
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Let us know what you go with, and how it turns out! :)
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"