Who has 1, Ti 750 Sierra Cup

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
frediver
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Who has 1, Ti 750 Sierra Cup

Post by frediver »

Do you have one and how do you like it?
Does it work well with a Alcohol stove?
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Re: Who has 1, Ti 750 Sierra Cup

Post by hikin_jim »

750ml is a BIG sierra cup or do you just mean a Ti mug in general? I think most sierra cups are about 300 to 400 ml, yes?

I have a Snow Peak 780ml Ti pot. I've found it to be a little bit challenging with an alcohol stove. Since the pot is so narrow, a lot of the flames go up the side, which wastes a lot of heat.

I've got a Caldera Cone that I've been using with an 850ml MSR Titan kettle, and that has worked well. The Cone catches a lot of heat even if the flames spill up around the sides.

I've also used a 1000ml pot on a Clikstand with a Trangia burner. The width of the 1000ml pot seems to be pretty good for making good use of the flame.

Flame "spillage" around the sides of the pot is definitely an issue with smaller diameter pots.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-Sierra-750" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When these 1st came out they had some finish issues.
Brasslite offered them for a short time and a caldera was designed for them.
I'm thinking that sloping sides would help capture heat from an Alcohol stove.
I've written to Brasslite asking about performance but not received an answer.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

It even has a lid with a non-heat conducting knob. Nice. Looks like a good one for a minimalist set up. I haven't used one, but it's nice and wide which hopefully would capture a lot of heat from a flame.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

hikin_jim wrote: it's nice and wide which hopefully would capture a lot of heat from a flame.
HJ
I use the 16oz bowl w/ lid from a BSA aluminum kit - it works perfectly with the Gram weenie pro. Without the lid (I don't bother bringing it or anything else), 1/2 oz of alcohol boils 8oz of water in a few minutes.

I was demonstrating the stove to my brother, who tried his std size sierra cup, but the flames went around the edge. He was sorta bummed his coffee was only lukewarm, while mine was piping hot.

Still, he saw how easy & convenient the stove was, vs breaking out his Whisperlite, screwing in the feed, pumping & priming, and then finally getting going. No question gas burns hotter/stronger, but the time/effort is much better suited for non-solo trips where you need to boil more water.

Btw, the alum bowl weighs maybe a micron more than a Ti version (if you can find one that size/dimension), but the entire kit only costs $5-6 @ Walmart.

Less time dicking around means more time hiking, fishing, wandering, etc. Camp chores make BPing seem like home.