Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Flux
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests

Post by Flux »

I was a little bored yesterday and had a few beer cans so I built one of these:

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/penny2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had to recut one can but it took me less than 15 minutes as I had the right drill bit. Luckily I also had some denatured alcohol in the garage and lit it up. This was early morning so the sun was shining and I couldn't see the jets, but you could hear the subtle roar once the inner fuel started boiling. I lit it later that night and had these wonderful 3" long jets of blue flame. Super cool and very easy to do.

I love my canister stoves but dang, this thing is so simple and appears to be very reliable. Next comes a DIY stand and windscreen. i have a little 1100 ml Ti pot that would make a pretty cool setup.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Caldera Cone vs. Clikstand Alcohol Stove Tests

Post by hikin_jim »

Flux wrote:I was a little bored yesterday and had a few beer cans so I built one of these:

http://www.jureystudio.com/pennystove/penny2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I had to recut one can but it took me less than 15 minutes as I had the right drill bit. Luckily I also had some denatured alcohol in the garage and lit it up. This was early morning so the sun was shining and I couldn't see the jets, but you could hear the subtle roar once the inner fuel started boiling. I lit it later that night and had these wonderful 3" long jets of blue flame. Super cool and very easy to do.

I love my canister stoves but dang, this thing is so simple and appears to be very reliable. Next comes a DIY stand and windscreen. i have a little 1100 ml Ti pot that would make a pretty cool setup.
Uh, oh, we've got another person bitten by the DIY stove bug. :wink:

Have you tried some boil tests? The really efficient stoves are able to boil 2 cups of cold water with about 1/2 fl. oz. of alcohol. 3/4 fl. oz. isn't bad. If a stove uses 1 fl. oz. or more, that's not particularly good. :thumbsdown:

Your 1100 ml Ti pot is a good size for such a stove. Really small pots are typically narrow to the degree that flames run up the sides, wasting heat.

Got any photos of your set up?

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving