Layering for fall in the Sierra

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
hikin_jim
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Layering for fall in the Sierra

Post by hikin_jim »

Western Mountaineering and Montbell's version of down sweaters get higher marks in the reviews I've read. Having said that, I've got the Patagonia down sweater. Mine's a hoodie which I find makes a big difference. I often will go out with my 32F rated bag into temps in the high 20's. Normally, I sleep a little on the cold side, but if I wear my down sweater to bed with the hood up, I stay pretty toasty. The hood on the down sweater + the hood on my bag makes for a really warm combo.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by fishmonger »

I have three down jackets - from thin to fat and puffy. Living in a state where it's freezing almost longer than it's above 32F, you can justify going a little over the top with the warm layers.

for the not so cold days I have a really light 800 fill north face Diez ($110 on Steep and cheap)
http://www.backcountry.com/the-north-fa ... ns-tnf5768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For possibly wet and overall not so friendly weather I have a Mammut Stratus synthetic fill belay jacket with hood (also a Steep and cheap steal)
http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and the really warm jacket is a Mountain Hardware sub zero with hood, but still thin enough to fit below my hardshell. It's warmer than the Mammut, not much heavier, and has a conduit fabric layer to help keep things dry.
http://www.backcountry.com/mountain-har ... acket-mens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the MHW Sub Zero was on Whitney in April - definitely the right amount of insulation for the temps then. I was looking at the Western Mountaineering jacket, but it seemed rather expensive for not a lot of features. Even the Marmot Greenland or the Patagonia Fitzroy seemed like a better choice at the time. when the MHW went on sale, I grabbed it. Like it a lot.

here with the last cup of hot coffee at the kilns before heading up to Telescope Peak in March

Funny that all jackets I have are black. I really don't like black, but when on sale, that seems to be the only color I can score.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by FeetFirst »

Flux wrote:After shivering my butt off trying to stargaze at night, I finally bought a down sweater, best thing ever really. If you are concerned about wet, then get a synthetic fill. Just about every company is making their version now with 800 fill. Very versatile piece of gear and weighs about half a pound.

Patagonia Down Sweater is what I own, but there are many others.
I totally agree. I currently use MontBell's UL Thermawrap (synthetic fill), which weighs about 9 ounces. It's warm enough, but doesn't ever overly impress me either. I recently scored a MontBell Alpine Light Jacket (800 FP down) for $90 and it's much, much warmer. It weights about 13 ounces and should be nice when expecting temps near and below freezing.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.