Marmot Pounder

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
krudler
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Marmot Pounder

Post by krudler »

Ok, I've been kind of slacking on writing up my review of this new toy but I figured I should get around to it.

REI Dividend + Xmas gift card in hand with a determination to shave another pound or two off my pack weight (what is it with the marginal returns on this? the last pound to be shaved seems to cost 10 times what the first one did!), I headed in to REI in late March (or was it early April?). I opted to get a Marmot Pounder sleeping bag (1lb/40 deg/synthetic), as they had one and the price was right and it seemed to be what I was looking for: a summer "plus" bag that weighed less than my 2lb3oz Kelty Light Year (25deg). Something I could use on summer or local (SoCal) trips that would shave a pound and a little space off my pack.

I've used it twice now. The first time was in the San Gabriels (Devils Canyon) on an overnight in late April. It was actually pretty cold and damp that weekend, so I took the tent (REI Roadster) too. Even in the tent and sleeping in longjohns, down booties, and a microfleece top, I found myself on the edge of comfort. Perhaps it was the dampness (we had some brief drizzles), perhaps I should have buffed up on my clothes more, but I wasn't all that stoked. Still, it was probably in the mid-upper 30's that night and the bag kept me alive and I did sleep even if it wasn't the best night.

The second time was a couple of weeks ago when a friend and I headed up for a little xc adventure in DomeLand Wilderness (viva DomeLand!). It was fairly warm - maybe up to 78 in the day and mid-40s at night, so I tarped it. This time around I was almost HOT in the bag. I had to sleep in just a t-shirt and shorts, I was totally comfortable and I slept great (that single malt scotch probably helped).

I am a warm sleeper. I have to say that, despite the initial experience, the bag seems to be exactly what I asked for: something that will keep me reasonably comfortable at or above the temperature rating (40 deg). However, there does seem to be a noticeable drop-off in the warmth performance as you approach that magic 4o-degree mark, unlike my 2lb3oz Kelty Light Year (25deg) down bag which seems to be able to withstand extremes pretty good. However, the Pounder does have a full length zipper (in your face, Kelty!) and I must say the construction and feel of the bag are very nice. The area inside the hood where your face rests is very silky and comfortable.

All in all I think this is going to be good to me this summer. I'll be trying it out again this weekend in the San Bernardinos, and over July 4 in the Golden Trout Wilderness on a trip to Golden Trout Creek and the Malpais lava fields.

Viva Marmot!
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I think it was at Gossamer Gear where I found a 1 lb. or 15 oz. down bag, 30 degrees for around $285 something. No fill on the bottom. See, that last pound is only gonna cost 3 bills!

I wanna go to the Golden Trout Wilderness too someday.

I just checked, it is $395, 32 degree bag, 1 lb. for the reg.
Piece of cake.