Tough hiking boot brands | High Sierra Topix  

Tough hiking boot brands

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Re: Tough hiking boot brands

Postby fishmonger » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:16 pm

La Sportiva makes pretty narrow boots - at least their mountaineering models Trango and all related boots are narrow. Most people end up buying a larger size than what they usually need due to the narrow cut. Definitely a boot you should not mail order unless there's a liberal return policy.

fishmonger
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:16 pm

hikin_jim wrote:So, who makes narrow boots these days? Seems like it's getting harder and harder to find a narrow.

If I get a "medium," I usually wind up losing toenails because me feet slip forward on down hills, and, no, just lacing 'em up more tightly or wearing double socks typically doesn't take care of the problem.

HJ

Jim, this is purely anecdotal, but I've found that for trail runners at least, Vasque seems to fit my narrow foot best. I found a pair of Vasque Sundowner boots online for cheap and so bought them hoping the fitting would translate over to the bigger boot. It does fit snugly across the top of my foot and seems to keep it in place even though I can feel the extra space in the toe. I've only taken them out for a few miles so far, but I think they are going to do the trick.

As I reread your post it dawned on me that are asking about manufacturer boots labeled as "narrow." For that I have no answer, but I'll leave the above paragraph in case it's any kind of help.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular

Postby hikin_jim » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Actually, that is helpful. Most of the time I cannot find "narrow" boots/shoes per se but have to rely on manufacturers that tend to run a little narrow. I'll file Vasque and La Sportiva away in my mental file.

I totally agree with the prior comment that people with "difficult" (to fit) feet should not order via mail unless there's a pretty generous return policy in place.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Experience: N/A

Postby cgundersen » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:02 pm

I'm with fishmonger. I'm on my second pair of La Sportiva (Glacier) and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever found. Great for snow, scree, talus and bushwhacking. Broke in my last pair over Sawmill Pass with nary a blister. I've used Lowa, Raichle, Galibier and Asolo (all with Norwegian welt, and all with lengthy break-in needed) and had the soles fall off every pair at more-or-less inopportune moments. My original La Sportiva needed re-soling after ~300 miles, but the shop I use in west LA does a great job and I've had no problem with re-soles. The vibram wears out before the soles detach. The trailsaver design on the vibram soles of my new Glaciers was useless for anything but DRY trails, but I like the boots so much, I got new soles put on the new boots. Silly but true.
cg
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Postby hikin_jim » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:48 am

Trailsaver? Is that where they round off the heel?

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Postby cgundersen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Jim,
I may have been kind in labeling them trailsavers, as I don't know for sure that the pattern (shown on the accompanying website photo) really is a trailsaver. All I know is that this pattern is a disaster for me on anything wet. Trading out to the old fashioned vibram lug soles and these babies are good to about a 75 degree angle on granite and work wonders in snow. Note that this website also has a lot of positive reviews of the Glaciers. I concur with most of them!

http://www.backcountry.com/la-sportiva-glacier-mountaineering-boot-mens

cg
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Postby hikin_jim » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:43 am

OK, so this pattern (see photo) does NOT work. Have I got that right?

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Postby fishmonger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:01 pm

cgundersen wrote: Note that this website also has a lot of positive reviews of the Glaciers. I concur with most of them!

http://www.backcountry.com/la-sportiva-glacier-mountaineering-boot-mens

cg

My daughter loved them when they still fit her in 2009 - here near Guitar Lake near the end of a full Muir Trail

they were barely bruised after that hike. The after she use the Tango boots and didn't like them as much, even though they were lighter.
fishmonger
Topix Expert

Postby hikin_jim » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:40 pm

Dang! Big boots for a little girl! Did you guys do so much hard snow that you needed heavy boots like that?

HJ
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Postby cgundersen » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:23 pm

jim,
Yes, that is the pattern that was a disaster for me. As I said, it's fine on dry trails, but once things get slick, that pattern slides. Curiously, I just realized that La Sportiva puts the standard vibram lugsole on their next model up (Makalu), so next time, I'll probably get Maks.

fishmonger,
great shot; I wish I'd had such great boots at that age!
cg
cgundersen
Topix Expert

Postby whrdafamI? » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:25 pm

I bought new boots this year and went with Zamberland Cervino Gt's. "Old School" boot for sure with the Vibram Montagna bloc soles. I love em. Killer boots man!
Better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it!

Get busy living or get busy dying.
whrdafamI?
Topix Regular

Postby freestone » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:38 am

Bill, I'm with you on Zamberlan. Go to Endless.com, they have a great selection and return policy. I purchased a pair of Zamberlan Braies which is basically a trail runner made with leather, with a leather lining (don't like Gortex). I like my ankle free for agility so I now prefer lowcuts like trail runners. Purchased them in May so they would be well broken in by September and I'm glad that I did. They certainly were not plug and play! They are made in Italy, not China although some of their products are. I go back and forth with shoe materials. Synthetics are light, comfortable, but carry a big carbon footprint. Put 500 miles on them right out of the box, then into the trash they go. Leather is heavy, brake them in, watch them age with beauty and mold to your foot, then resole if they can. I like that kind of sustainability. I just got out and saw three young women and two young men doing the JMT. All were wearing leather boots, not "barefoot" Vibrams or trailrunners. As a side note, I also purchased a pair of Patagonia Screes (panic!) because I did not think the Zamberlans would be ready. They are also leather, but much lighter, thinner and lined with synthetics. As it turned out, I went in with the Zamberlans and they were great. Next trip will be with the Screes and then see how they do and which pair will end up in the trash can first.
freestone
Topix Expert

Experience: Level 1 Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix