Plastic Boots

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
wingding

Plastic Boots

Post by wingding »

I'm starting to look at the gear I'll need for my Rainier trip next July, so it looks like I'll need to buy Plastic Mountaineering boots. Does anyone have any experience with Koflach Degre boots?
ridgeline
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Plastic boots

Post by ridgeline »

Just did Rainier in Sept, I used Montrail Ice 9 boots and loved them. No break in required. A vet guide told me the Koflach seem to fall apart, but this could be due to the heavy use on their part, but the fact that they are so warm is a plus. Depending on conditions and time of year a leather boot is much more comfortable. Depending on the route, you will be on rock, ice and snow so think about versatility.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thank Ridgeline. The Montrail Ice 9 boots come in womens sizes too - I'm going to take a look at them.
wingding

Post by wingding »

ridgeline - how's the sizing on those Montrail ICE 9 boots? Do they run small or large? I'll probably have to order online, so it'll help to have the information.
ridgeline
Founding Member

plastic boots

Post by ridgeline »

The Montrail run a bit small for me. Im a size 12, in the Ice 9 boot I have a 13. Remember you will have heavy socks plus your foot stays warmer when not cramped. On Rainier you will have crampons on for 90% of the climb, even over rock, on the long steep sections you will be doing a rest step for hours on end.
wingding

Post by wingding »

Thanks Ridgeline - I'll order a size up.

I'm going to be in the training mode until next July for this trip. The training will be good for me and make the Sierra Peaks I have planned for next summer easier.
wingding

Post by wingding »

I didn't go with plastic boots for a summertime trip up Rainier. I bought a pair of La Sportiva Womena Nepal EVO GTX. They came yesterday and feel pretty good around the house, so now I have to get out and try them out in the snow.

I may eventually need to get those plastic boots if my ambitions go beyond Rainier in the summer.

Also, I ended up with a 39.5, which is supposed to be a womens size 8 and they fit pretty good. I normally wear a size 7.5, so if anyone gets these boots they might want to try a 1/2 size up.
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Are you planning to do Mt Rainier with RMI? If so you can rent Koflach boots while at base camp if you change your mind on boots. Here is a rental list.
http://www.whittakermountaineering.com/rental.asp
wingding

Post by wingding »

Yes, we're going with RMI but I think the La Sportiva's I bought will work fine for a trip at the end of July. I don't want to have to rent a pair of boots that I haven't had a chance to hike in before.