jansport carson backpack experience?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Old_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

jansport carson backpack experience?

Post by Old_Hiker »

Hi,
I have a K2 loadmaster shortbed and I love it except for the weight. I'm trying to lighten my load and at 7 pounds, the pack is kinda heavy.

I've looked and found mostly good reviews for the jansport carson [it only weighs 4 lb, 12oz] but when i saw one in person i was disappointed in the shoulder pads and hip belt for they were extremely flimsly. It looks like they would really dig into my shoulders and waist.

They good thing about the K2 is that I can fit my bearkade cannister inside. The carson's top is too narrow for it, but it looks like you can open the back up and put it in that way.

I looked at the Kelty Tioga 5500 but at 6 pounds not as much of a weight savings.
Old_Hiker
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: jansport carson backpack experience?

Post by Old_Hiker »

I finally got around to posting my experience with the Carson. I went on a 3 day trip to 1000 Island Lake Sept 13-15th. I went the High Trail the first day, did a day hike to Davis Lake the second day - [I ran into snow fields!] and came back the High Trail the last day.
I noticed the light weight of the pack every time I had to sling it on. Great. There was enough space for everything - I tied my tent on the bottom, the bag in the bag area and my Thermarest pad down the middle, held in by the horizontal straps. The bear cannister was accessable by unzipping vertical zippers.

I was surprised the straps, which aren't that impressive, felt good.

The worse thing about the pack was that stupid pouch on top! Why did the entry face the back? Every time I opened it I was worried something would fall out!

It hailed and lightly rained the afternoon of the first day, threaten the 2nd day and I was gone by the afternoon of the last day. No mosquitoes!