Food | High Sierra Topix  

Food

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

Food

Postby xshift28x » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:33 am

I've looked into a lot of the freeze-dried food (mountain house) but I was wondering if there is anything wrong with taking some oatmeal packets, a couple cans of soup and some MRE's for lunch. I am only going on a 4 day-3 night trip and don't mind carrying 3 cans of campbell's soup for dinner instead of the $8 freeze dried stuff.

xshift28x
Topix Acquainted

Experience: N/A

Re: Food

Postby 87TT » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Sounds like you will need a wagon to haul it all or a pack mule. There are lots of cheaper ways to eat and lighter. Example= top ramen instead of canned soup.
87TT
Topix Regular

Postby xshift28x » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:26 pm

I hadn't thought of the ramen
xshift28x
Topix Acquainted

Postby 87TT » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:51 pm

Check out trailcooking.com or the food thread on this board. Personally I can't eat MRE's :puke:
87TT
Topix Regular

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:16 am

Oatmeal is good, but don't bring cans of anything. There are plenty of lighter options. You can get miso soup packets, dehydrated beans and soups, and other similar items at your local grocery or health food store. There are plenty of options packaged in paper and plastic. You've got to remember that not only are cans heavy to pack in, you have to pack out that bulky trash.

If you do decide to get a couple of the Mountain House meals, I recommend the Buffalo Chicken (bring tortillas too). It is nice and spicy.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby Jimr » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:22 am

BLEAH, I hate freeze dried. Along with soup packets, I like to bring the foil packaged chicken to add to soups and ramen. If you go with ramen, get Top Ramen. They're a bit more expensive than Maruchen, but they're pretty good eaten dry and crunchy on the trail. Then you can save the flavor packet for the soup along with the chicken chunks.
What?!
Jimr
Topix Fanatic

Postby Carne_DelMuerto » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:37 am

I found this just before my last trip and brought a few to try out: http://www.starkist.com/product/ready-m ... hunk-light

We put it on a tortilla and added some hot sauce. Nice tasty protien source. :D
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Regular

Postby rlown » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:39 am

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:I found this just before my last trip and brought a few to try out: http://www.starkist.com/product/ready-m ... hunk-light

It's pretty funny.. Mountain House used to make dehydrated tuna and chicken salad, which I found quite tasty on crackers or whatever. A great lunch item.

I'll have to try the starkist now.. I love the new pouch-ready seafood stuff they're putting out.

Should probably move this to the backcountry food topix area..
rlown
Topix Junkie

Postby markskor » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:19 pm

Carne_DelMuerto wrote:I found this just before my last trip and brought a few to try out: http://www.starkist.com/product/ready-m ... hunk-light

Carried a few of these myself...yummy mixed with those Knor chicken/ Stroganoff/ Rice dry packages. BTW, they are all available this year at the Tuolumne store for re-provision purposes.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Postby 87TT » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:29 pm

We took a foil pack of salmon one time up at Cottonwood lakes and added it to some Lipton teriyaki noodles and both got sick :puke: Must have got a bad pack. Now if I want fish in something, I catch it.
87TT
Topix Regular

Postby dave54 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:38 pm

Ramen is junk food. OK as a snack or a single overnight meal, but do not make them the basis of your diet.

MRE's are the emergency food I keep under the seat in my pickup. And cans do not make sense.

A 4 day trip is on the edge of being concerned about proper nutrition. 3 days or less your body has enough reserves to handle your nutrient needs, except for carbs -- you need adequate carbs every day or you will bonk. Beyond 4 days I can feel the effects of poor nutrition.

So if you want to use ramen or powdered soup mixes, improve on it with added extra dried vegetables, some minute rice, grains or whole grain noodles, and some extra dried protein such as dried meats (Note -- boullion is not a protein source. Read the label.). And pack a daily multivitamin. Do not discount powdered milk as a nutrition source, it can be added to almost anything and not merely used as a beverage. (FYI -- a growing body of research in the U.S. and other countries shows that ordinary chocolate low-fat milk is as good or superior recovery drink as the heavily advertised and overpriced 'sports drinks').

I agree the mountain House stuff is overpriced and over processed. You are paying for name and convenience. You can do just as well and cheaper packaging your own stuff at home.
dave54
Founding Member

Postby gary c. » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:52 pm

On our last trip I brought along along an instant breakfast drink that my buddy found on line and it really hit the spot. All that it took was a regular instant breakfast and 2tbls of Needo whole powdered milk and 2tbls of instant expresso. It really helped the instant oatmeal go down and a nice kick start to the day. Next time I think I'll add a little protein powder to go with it.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
gary c.
Topix Expert

Next

Return to Outdoor Gear Topix